Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

would they 'lance' this?

(12 Posts)
loopylou6 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:35:36

my dad got what he thinks was a thorn stuck in his finger a few weeks ago, after suffering for a while he went out of hour docs as the area between the finger nail and the middle joint of the finger was very swollen and sore, so much so the pain was keeping him awake at night, he was given AB's, they took most of the paina way but it remained swollen, now today the pain is back and kept him awake last night, his finger is swollen and very hot to the touch, after much convincing he says he will go the doc tomoz hmm now my question is, what will they do? theres obviously something stuck in there isnt there? (even though there is no head or opening at all around the affected area)

Shitehawk Thu 07-Aug-08 13:39:13

There might not be anything in there - the antibiotics may just not have killed off the infection and he may just need a longer course or a stronger dose.

Send him back to the GP anyway.

loopylou6 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:40:40

will do, thank SH smile

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:44:47

Message withdrawn

loopylou6 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:46:13

hmmm gout, am gonna google that now cod

loopylou6 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:49:50

from what ive read, it only lasts 2 weeks max, my dads had this for longer than 2 weeks, but the symptoms are exact

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:50:50

Message withdrawn

loopylou6 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:53:52

will report back when hes been doc's if your right u will have to change ya name to 'dr cod' wink

emma1977 Thu 07-Aug-08 15:24:21

I was also thinking gout.

Unless its a very deeply embedded thorn with some residual infection kicking around. Did the thorn go into the actual joint? Either, way I doubt it would be lanced as that is far more likely to introduce new infection.

loopylou6 Thu 07-Aug-08 16:22:49

thats the mystery, there is no hole where you can see if anything is inside, so maybe he just thought it was a thorn, hes a landscaper so used to dealing with thorns etc and normally my mum just digs them out and all is fine. so what tests would be done to determine gout? or would it just be a diagnosis on presentation?

emma1977 Thu 07-Aug-08 18:15:33

A lot of the diagnosis is clinical- a red, hot, VERY painful joint. Typically big toe/fingers/knee/ankle at first presentation.

Blood tests are also done to check for uric acid levels, inflammatory markers and rheumatoid factor to weed out other potential causes. However, these sometimes need repeating or doing a few weeks down the line as they can be normal during acute gout.

loopylou6 Thu 07-Aug-08 18:36:54

thanks emma, very helpful smile
what are uric acid levels? is that something to do with the kidneys?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now