Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am I being just a little bit paranoid about my MRI scan, please reassure me (-:

(15 Posts)
mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 12:55:25

I had my MRI scan on Monday. The radiographer wouldnt tell me anything even though Im staff and know that she can say whether its good or bad by looking at it!

I phoned the surgeon today who put the form in for me, he had gone home. I asked a co-worker who works with me and him if i should speak to one of the other surgeons to review it and she said 'no I'd wait to speak to xxx tomorrow' shock

I know im thinking the worst, but I suppose if it was awful the radiographer would have told me to phone the following day which she didnt (they did this with my uncle when they found his brain tumour), and its unlikely that the surgeon who wrote my form would have read it (I dont think he kept my hospital number) or that he wouldve discussed it with co-worker.

But I cant help thinking that they all know something i dont sad

mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:10:09

oh god you all think it too shock sad

MadameCheese Thu 07-Aug-08 13:15:58

Not at all but the wait must be horrid you poor thing

I personally would prefer it if my scan were reviewed by a radiologist and the surgeon not the radiographer, they aren't experts. I also think it would be unprofessional of them to discuss your results with you if you are staff

seb1 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:16:07

I assume these people have rules of what they can and can't say and it is it more than their jobs is worth to break them. so don't worry too much.

MadameCheese Thu 07-Aug-08 13:18:41

btw I meant that to indicate that it doesn't mean it's bad news, sorry

Weegle Thu 07-Aug-08 13:19:35

I'd assume no news is good news. When I had "bad" news from an MRI I knew by the end of the day - in fact was being seen by another consultant by 5pm that day. Hope all ok smile

mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:23:23

Trouble is, Im not being referred by any consultant, meaning that the results would not immediately go back to someone. Although I suppose they would tell the surgeon concerned but Im not sure he;d be able to get hold of me.
He did the form as a favour not because I am under anyones care at the moment.

I suppose youre right, they are not allowed to discuss results with patients but surely as im staff they could have given me the thumbs up or down

MadameCheese Thu 07-Aug-08 13:28:53

it's a strange one isn't it? I've had colleagues asking consultants they work with for a referral for tests but they've not had access to the results any sooner, especially if it's not their field of expertise

mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:55:38

it is his area of expertise, although he's not connected to the surgeon i saw 5 years ago, (I was under neurology, he's neurosurgery)

Im hoping no news is good news smile

Highlander Thu 07-Aug-08 14:02:58

if it's any help mosschops, this happens to DH sometimes (staff coming under his care), and he says he would never casually discuss a test result

mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 14:18:23

thanks highlander, I hope your dh is the norm and not the exception. He is a very good surgeon and a nice man so am hopeful he wont have discussed it with anyone else especially nosey co-worker

MadameCheese Fri 08-Aug-08 13:22:46

how are you mosschops30?

mosschops30 Sat 09-Aug-08 16:00:40

thanks for asking madamecheese, it was all fine grin I was very relieved smile off out to celebrate later

MadameCheese Sat 09-Aug-08 19:36:48

Fantastic! Have a great night

Moski Sat 09-Aug-08 19:43:32

Congratulations misschops30! I can't even go in for a blood test without feeling dire. The MRI must have been really scary. But now you know all is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now