Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Did anyone's periods get less painful or lighter after having a baby? And ibuprofen and bfing question as well.

(16 Posts)
BellaBear Thu 07-Aug-08 12:45:19

I am starting to get signs that my first post-pregnancy period is on its way, and I am upset! I have always had horrendous heavy painful periods (one or two days off school a month), and then I went on the pill and that controlled it somewhat. Came off to conceive and luckily only had a few before becoming pg. And they weren't too bad.

Now I am getting slightly nausea, constipation, achy (sp?) legs, and it is bringing it all back. I don't want to stop breastfeeding and going back on the pill and I don't think I can take ibuprofen which was the only thing which helped before. Any advice?

lisasimpson Thu 07-Aug-08 12:54:51

for me, they have been heavier and more painful than in recent years. To be honest strong ibuprofen is the only thing that will help me, sorry don't know about the bf angle though!

BellaBear Thu 07-Aug-08 12:59:33

so, that's a old wives tale about them getting lighter then! Oh crap. Thanks for replying

ChipButty Thu 07-Aug-08 13:03:09

Mine are completely different - they go on much longer (about a week to 9 days) but are only heavy for a day or so. I also have more ovulation pain now than I ever did before. HTH

IdrisTheDragon Thu 07-Aug-08 13:04:09

How old is your DC? Once they are about 6 months or so I think it is fine to use the combined pill.

scorpio1 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:05:04

you can go on the pill whilst bf - a mini pill.

mine came back 8 weeks after birth even though i am exc bf envy dd gets fussy just before my period though.

Twiglett Thu 07-Aug-08 13:05:11

totally different after both .. you won't know until they come back and settle

oh and had PCOS before DS but cleared up after

can you not take ibuprofen when BF? check that out

scorpio1 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:05:55

oh and periods terrible, always have been, birth hasnt changed mine.

Twiglett Thu 07-Aug-08 13:05:57

ibuprofen and bf seems fine ..check with GP

BellaBear Thu 07-Aug-08 13:08:20

thanks for all replies, didn't know all of that!
think i may have been confused re ibu and pg/bf

he's 6 and a half months

Indith Thu 07-Aug-08 13:08:27

You can take Ibuprofen I believe. Worth a quick chat to a pharmacist. My periods used to be terrible too and were lighter afer ds but gradually started getting worse again. Different for everyone though obviously, I quite probably have endometriosis although fairly mildly so being pg will have helped.

BellaBear Thu 07-Aug-08 18:40:36

that is very interesting, thank you

munchiesmama Thu 07-Aug-08 18:50:51

Hi Bella mine used to be awful, now they are a walk in the park. Hope it will be the same for u x

BellaBear Thu 07-Aug-08 18:58:56

fingers crossed!

poppy34 Thu 07-Aug-08 20:43:51

ibuprofen fine while bf -checkedwith gp and phamarcist

theexmrsfederer Thu 07-Aug-08 20:46:33

more ovulation pain

heavier, more painful periods

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now