Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dental work - route canal treatment this afternoon.. I am in a tailspin..Help me PLEASE

(24 Posts)
bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 09:03:02

I am trying to think of every reason I can to justify not going to the appointment.
I have been taking antibiotics for the infection and co-codamol to deal with the pain
It hurts like hell but I dont think I can go and sit in the chair and let them do it......

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hassled Thu 07-Aug-08 09:07:54

IT WILL BE FINE!!!

It takes a while and the worst part is having to keep your mouth open for that long. Apart from the anaesthetic injection (which does hurt like hell because it goes quite deep into the gum, but count to 5 and it will have stopped), it doesn't hurt after that - just feels a bit weird.

Just close your eyes and think about something trivial, like what's for supper - do a menu plan for the week in your head, think about holidays or whatever - try to zone out.

kiddiz Thu 07-Aug-08 09:09:46

I've had root canal treatment twice and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm not great at the dentist but the worst bit for me was the local anaesthetic. The relief of no longer having tooth ache was wonderful...I was in agony before I had the treatment. I took my mp3 player and headphones which really helped distract me.

RubyRioja Thu 07-Aug-08 09:11:10

COuld you plan what you are going to do afterwards? Someone to take you home and look after little ones while you take painkillers and go to bed, focus on that?

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 09:16:49

ROOT !!! smile Doh!!!!
What would the pedants say?!?!?

is there any benefit to me taking some painkillers before I go?

Dh is coming home to look after the kids. I will have to walk across the road afterwards (I can see the surgery from here)

Shall I stick bongella on my gums before going in (I think it has a little local anesthetic in it?)

I am soooooooo scared.

Thanks for your kind words smile

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 13:00:31

right it feels like someone is sitting on my chest, I am sweating and my heart is racing.
Trying to distract myself and pretend it isn't happening but I have to pull myself to gether by 3pm
DS2 asleep upstairs DS1 playing tennis on the wii
HELP Please...........

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 13:04:07

anyone

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 13:08:40

Have brushed my teeth twice since lunch, rinsed with corsodyl stuck bongella on
can't find my Ipod to take
trying not to drink too much as I know I will need a wee when I get in there

ihatebikerides Thu 07-Aug-08 13:19:18

Is anyone able to go with you to hold your hand? I agree with whoever it was who said the worst part is having your mouth open for that length of time. Aches a bit. Anaesthetic sorts the rest out. I was expecting the worst and made DH drive me there, carry me out at the end and drive me home but, tbh, wasn't necessary at all. Could have driven myself perfectly well.
Good luck.

LooptheLoop Thu 07-Aug-08 13:21:29

Hiya

I had it done last year. I'm a huge dentist phobe (didn't go for years I was so bad) and complete wimp.

Was absolutely dreading it. But it was fine. Didn't hurt apart from a little bit when the injection went in. I was amazed at how painless the whole thing was.

Honestly, it should be fine. And it was a hell of a lot better than the toothache!

Hope it goes well. Will think of you this afternoon.

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 13:22:33

DH coming home to look after the kids so at least I won't have them sat in the room with me smile

been and had a quick shower to see if that helped..

stupidly though agreed to go to the church this evening to choose curtain fabrics for the windows!

LooptheLoop Thu 07-Aug-08 13:25:32

At the beginning, my dentist said to tell him if I needed a break. I didn't need to - but was nice to feel that I could stop things at any stage. Could be worth agreeing this with your dentist beforehand?

Jbck Thu 07-Aug-08 14:10:06

Had to have this just after Xmas, I had anti-bs for post natal fanjo infection and other anti-bs for tooth infection and was in tremendous pain, Xmas dinner was rubbish and New Year a washout but I still dreaded getting it done as everybody said how horrendous it was.

Piece of cake compared to what I was expecting. It as honestly not much worse than a filling in the same area (very back of mouth). Like LTL we agreed a signal to say I needed a rest but I didn't have to, in fact he broke off to say how well I was doing.

The relief afterwards from the previous pain was so good I forgot the jab really quickly and after an early night all that bothered me was a wee bit of an ache for a couple of days in my jaw.

Good luck, you'll be a big brave soldier and deserve some medicinal vino later. grin

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 20:33:45

well all I can say is you have all lied to me sad
it is horrid the proceedure was fine but now local has worn off I can't cope it is horrid.
have taken ibuprofen, co-codamol and still feel like I have a dagger plunging in and out of my head.

she coudln't get all the nerves out beacuse "my mouth it too small and the wrong shape" hmm

so I now have to put up with this until the 22nd when she will finish drilling then wait until the 9th September for her to fill it.

angry
sad

aGalChangedHerName Thu 07-Aug-08 20:37:43

Oh poor you sad

I had to have a tooth extracted because i couldn't go through with the rest of a root canal treatment. Bastard dentist angry

You cannot be expected to wait till the 22nd FFS. Have you been given more AB's to take? Is there still infection there?

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 20:38:29

still infected no more antibiotics offered

blowsy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:39:49

Poor you, she doesn't sound like a good dentist imo. Mouth too small and wrong shape??

I'm sadly a veteran of the root canal. Could you get a second opinion? Perhaps try an endodontist - they are experts in root canal work.

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 20:41:30

how do I find one blowsy?

blowsy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:47:17

Well, I would either do a google search for your area or go by recommendation. I'd only go for one that has testimonies from happy customers!

Root canals should be done in 2 treatments afaik. It shouldn't be traumatic either.

Expecting you to wait until the 22nd is not on. If a dentist is talking bollocks about the size of your mouth, I would not be filled with confidence.

Am angry on your behalf. I'm sure you psyched yourself up for today as it is and now you're expected to stress for 2 weeks?!

ihatebikerides Thu 07-Aug-08 21:05:47

Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear you've had a rough time. Actually, the reason my treatment was relatively OK might have been because the tooth had died some months previously - and that was when I had all the pain. Felt like someone was putting a pneumatic drill through my jaw. At one point I was kneeling on the kitchen floor in tears with the pain. DD, 5 at the time, said "Are you going to die, Mummy?"

aGalChangedHerName Thu 07-Aug-08 21:14:40

Is there any way you could access an emergency dentist tonight?

Or tomorrow at the latest?

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 21:17:21

have done on the phone he just said to give it till monday and if it was still this bad to demand an emergency appt at the surgery where todays appt took place

aGalChangedHerName Thu 07-Aug-08 21:23:48

You should at least have been given AB's to kill/keep the infection under control.

Phone your dentist tomorow and say you are still in agony and you MUST be seen right away!!!

Sympathies and (((hugs))) I know how shit you feel x

clarebear1 Thu 07-Aug-08 21:42:32

i went in for root canal treatment,had a fiddle round the dentist couldnt find my roots,so i gt tranferred to the hosp dentist but they then didnt have the equipment. so then went back to the dentist and he shoved a filing in it,that was3 years ago! still get grief from it now but too scared to go bk haha x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now