Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help - what is this? do you think it warrants a doctor appt?

(9 Posts)
Legoleia Thu 07-Aug-08 08:59:37

Good morning!

I have woken up for the second day running, with one of my eyes glued shut. My eyelid seems to be swollen but my eye isn't red at all.

I have done a bit of www research and conjunctivitis comes with pink eye, usually. BBC say don't bother going to the doctors it will usually clear up in a week.

I go camping tomorrow! SO if I went to the docs, it'd be an emergency surgery appt which I feel is a bit dramatic?!

What do you think?

TIA!

Miaou Thu 07-Aug-08 09:00:44

Go to the chemist and see if they can give you something to help alleviate it?

(and make sure you keep your towels etc separate from everyone else's and wash your hands so you don't pass it on)

LittleMissNorty Thu 07-Aug-08 09:00:59

Could go to the chemist and get some anti-histamine eye-drops....if it was infected, there would be gunge galore!

gingerninja Thu 07-Aug-08 09:01:45

If it is conjunctivitis then you can (i think) buy the antibiotic drops over the counter these days. They're called chrolophenical (sp!) ask the pharmacist.

fluffyanimal Thu 07-Aug-08 09:03:54

I've just had conjunctivitis and my eye was pretty red. However it wasn't very sore and has cleared up in the course of 2 days.

Last year I also got gluey eyes with no redness and went to the doc about it, and she said I might be having a hayfever-type reaction as pollen levels were unusually high. Now with all this rain that might not be the case here, but it could be an allergic reaction to something. How long are you camping for? If the eye's not sore and your vision is OK, you're probably OK to leave it. If it gets worse, you might be able to find a local NHS drop-in centre (if camping in the UK, of course!)

reallyannoyednow Thu 07-Aug-08 09:15:17

use tissues or cotton wool (non fleece) to bathe your eyes. Use cooled salted water to remove any discharge/crustiness. Don't use eye make up - preferably bin mascara, eye liner etc and when this clears up buy new stuff.
you can use witch hazel to cool puffy eyes, when not using drops.

Hassled Thu 07-Aug-08 09:17:41

It could be dry eyes, which I have bouts of. The chemists have artificial tears, which help a lot.
If the eyelid is swollen it could be a stye - again, there's some really attractive greasy slime you can get from the chemists to put on wink.

Pheebe Thu 07-Aug-08 09:45:00

Optrex eyedrops with antibiotic in from the chemist will clear it up in a few days. you must keep treating for the full 5 days or whatever it is though or it will come back. Have fun camping smile

Legoleia Thu 07-Aug-08 13:45:10

Thanks for all the info!!!

Picked up some drops and I hope they work, especially as I have a family wedding next week, and don't want to look like the chap out of the goonies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now