Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Croaky 8 month old?

(4 Posts)
Flower3554 Thu 07-Aug-08 07:24:31

8 month old little girl I'm caring for has a cough and sounds croaky. The cough is minor and it sounds like she needs a really good cough to loosen what sounds like phlegm (tmi) on her chest, its sort of rattley(sp?) Does she need to see the GP, she is well and happy, no temperature, feeding and sleeping well.

tootyflooty Thu 07-Aug-08 13:12:52

If she has had the cough a while, it wouldn't hurt to see the doctor . My neice had a persistant cough at that age and had to be tested for cystic fibrosis as it went on for so long, , she just ended up with an inhaler for a while,although generally she was in good health other than the rattley cough but seems to have grown out of it now ( she's 3). Its probably nothing, but it should be checked out.

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:17:49

If she has no other symptoms and the cough hasn't been hanging around for ages, I wouldn't be too worried. A few mins in steamy room might help her clear her throat.

My son had croup for most of last summer and the Dr couldn't do much. Even when he lost his voice completely two days before his first birthday they just told us to give him lots of fluids

Flower3554 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:42:16

Thank you, I thought I'd better have it checked out and the GP has given her an antibiotic, he didn't want it to become a chest infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now