Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone else given up alcohol? Anyone want to join me?

(5 Posts)
blueskythinker Wed 06-Aug-08 20:32:54

I am thinking of giving up alcohol. It seems that recently I automatically reach for a glass of wine every night to wind down.

I don't think I necessarily have a problem, I think it would just be better for me to give it up. Plus I am about 20 kilos overweight, so I am hoping this will help.

Has anyone else done this? How did you find it? What do you drink when you are out? Any situations you found difficult?

Anyone thinking of doing the same who wants mutual support?

moondog Wed 06-Aug-08 20:34:13

There are quite a few long runnig support threadson this although of course you canstart a new one. smile

mawbroon Wed 06-Aug-08 20:58:22

I stopped when I was first pregnant with ds in Feb 05. I knew I didn't want to drink anything at all when I was pg, but then I just never started again.

I was a binge drinker and would admit to having moderation problems with alcohol. At this point, I don't see myself going back to drinking as my life is much improved.

I am well known for drinking cups of tea when I am out (ask nailpolish!!) or failing that, just a soft drink. I now drive to and from any nights out and makes it a lot easier.

Sometimes I have occasions where I think "ooh I would love to have a drink" but I know it is a bad idea and I just say no. I have found that now I don't drink at all, people no longer try to persuade me to have a drink.

Anyone seen Chewin' the Fat? Go on, take a drink, take a drink, go on, take a drink. etc etc. It would be funny if it wasn't so true!

Piffle Wed 06-Aug-08 21:07:49

I've recently tried kicking an habitual 3 sometimes 4 cans of beer a night. Just bored with myself for being a drinker!
Am on day 6 have very weak I mean very weak wine and soda at about 5pm and that's mental iyswim
So far so good

babs10000 Wed 06-Aug-08 21:09:40

I'm going to do Sept teetotal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now