Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone ever had Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for anxiety/drpression

(46 Posts)
nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 10:54:46

?

gingerninja Wed 06-Aug-08 10:55:45

A friend has and said it was brilliant. Is normally quite cynical about that kind of thing.

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 10:56:20

was it on the nhs?

Lilymaid Wed 06-Aug-08 11:00:28

DH had it when he suffered from panic attacks. It was arranged on the NHS by our GP and worked!

gingerninja Wed 06-Aug-08 11:01:05

Yes, she had a referal from GP

IdrisTheDragon Wed 06-Aug-08 11:01:48

I had it on the NHS and found it excellent smile

whitetulips Wed 06-Aug-08 11:10:23

I had 3 sessions arranged by my gp. I did most of the talking, and it helped me get my head straight. It allowed me to work out what my problems were, and which was the most important one to deal with.

I had to stop due to circumsatnces, but it helped me

hth

mindalina Wed 06-Aug-08 11:13:16

It is really good, but I found it didn't work for me when I was really anxious and depressed. I was just too down to believe it, if that makes sense. Low dose of ADs brought me up enough that I was able to believe in it.

Hassled Wed 06-Aug-08 11:15:36

My DD (now 19) was referred for CBT at 17 due to depression. It's done wonders - helped her work out why she reacts the way she does to certain things, and taught her techniques for coping with situations. It does require some self-discipline - i.e. she's taught techniques, but then has to remember to apply them.

Two years ago I thought she's never be able to leave home, go to University etc - now she's off in Spetember . The ADs have undoubtedly helped, but I think the CBT has been invaluable. DD is of the view that everyone should have CBT, regardless of their mental health.

wingandprayer Wed 06-Aug-08 11:16:15

Yes, was brilliant, had course of 10 sessions, NHS, taught me coping mechanisms for my anxiety that ensured haven't been back since.

I think AD's help sort out the chemical imbalance but only counselling can help you deal with roots cause(s) and prevent/reduce the risk of being affected again.

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 11:16:57

qwhat kind of techniques?

Hassled Wed 06-Aug-08 11:22:22

I don't know the specifics (she's cagey - it all seems very personal) but e.g. what to think about when she starts feeling angry, what to think about she realises her self-esteem is affected by something. And how to recognise what's going on - so when X happens then I start feeling like Y and so I should do Z.

Earthymama Wed 06-Aug-08 11:25:28

I've had CBT and it's good, you have to committ mentally to thinking about your attitudes to yourself.

I now use affirmations on a daily basis and use 'You can heal your life' too.

If it's offered you should give it a try

wingandprayer Wed 06-Aug-08 11:29:51

Recognising your triggers to anxiety, working out how they can be dealt with/minimised/ignored, discussing specific incidents of anxiety and reviewing how things could have been seen/done differently and combatting negative thoughts which contribute to anxiety. Also recognising when anxiety a good/necessary thing and learning not to panic at these natural occurences.

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 11:40:20

thank you

moondog Wed 06-Aug-08 11:41:40

You alright Naily? smile
Look into Acceptance & Commitment therapy too.
It's part of 'third wave'. V good indeed.

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 11:44:23

im not 100% MD

thanks fro asking

am a bit wobbly jsut now

Pruners Wed 06-Aug-08 11:46:45

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 11:48:07

ok well seeing as it is public now

prune do you think i am wobbly or emotional or grumpy or similar

moondog Wed 06-Aug-08 11:48:11

Oh Naily. sad
ACT isfabulouswith stuff like unhelpful intrusive thoughts. I have studied it in great depth for MSc. It is CBT with balls basically.

Pruners Wed 06-Aug-08 11:49:40

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 11:51:09

oh god do i seem stressed to you?

takes a lot of energy to try to hide it

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 11:51:43

she has red mark on her cheek but its not sore

moondog Wed 06-Aug-08 11:52:39

Here is site

Pruners Wed 06-Aug-08 11:52:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now