Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

rabies while on holiday!

(12 Posts)
cariboo Wed 06-Aug-08 05:08:46

Was "attacked" by a possibly rabid bat last night. Treatment done this afternoon in local hospital but am absolutely terrified. Does anyone know anything about rabies vaccines in humans that might comfort me?

cariboo Wed 06-Aug-08 07:38:44

anybody awake yet? Before I go to bed & try to imagine that I'll survive this night, too?

belgo Wed 06-Aug-08 07:49:05

Poor you! It's good that you have recieved such prompt treatment. Please try not to worry, the treatment is extremely effective.

A BBC presenter was bitten by a rabid animal last year. I will look up the article, it will reassure you.

Where are you by the way?

Spagblog Wed 06-Aug-08 07:49:19

Oh poor you!
I understand that if full course given early, then you are fine.
You'll be okay, but how scary!
Rabies was always my greatest fear when I was growing up.

belgo Wed 06-Aug-08 07:50:27

here is the article.

Spagblog Wed 06-Aug-08 07:52:15

Gawd, I wish I hadn't googled it now!

sarah293 Wed 06-Aug-08 08:15:57

Message withdrawn

cariboo Thu 07-Aug-08 07:51:32

We're staying at my sister's house just outside Vancouver while she's visiting PIL in UK. My other sister & dad also live nearby so we come for visits when we can afford to. In emerge, as they call it here, a man walked in who had just been attacked by a bear. Yesterday a woman was attacked in her garden in nearby Coquitlam. It's terrifying. Before she left, my sister warned us to never leave the dc unsupervised in the garden (which is about 50m2). I doubt I'll let them into the garden at all now.

Spagblog Thu 07-Aug-08 15:49:15

Thanks for the update, gawd it sounds really "wild" there.

cariboo Fri 08-Aug-08 07:57:25

Wild but stunningly beautiful!

belgo Fri 08-Aug-08 12:05:09

that's very interesting cariboo! I hope the rest of your stay is without drama.

cariboo Sun 10-Aug-08 06:52:34

At least 3 bears shot locally this week. One attacked a woman while she was gardening, almost scalping her. That was about 10 mins walk from here. Daren't leave the dc alone outside for a second.

I love it here still. It's home. I feel sorry for the bears because massive private development is destroying their habitat & the ecosystem in general.

Hate bats, though. Bleugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now