Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

1yo DD with cold and a rash - GP says "maybe" measles

(9 Posts)
thelittlestbadger Tue 05-Aug-08 13:20:31

But isn't sure because a few common symptoms aren't present - no conjunctivitis, no spots in mouth and ears look okay. Also DD seems generally too healthy. So far so good.

However, should I treat her as though she does have measles and keep her in? I'm not planning to take her to a playgroup or anything but would rather like to get some bread, milk and most importantly, wine at some point today. DD is not in a very good mood but cheers up a lot outside so I would quite like to take her for a walk (we don't have a garden)

Do you think this would be alright?

belgo Tue 05-Aug-08 13:25:28

can you phone up your GP and ask? It sounds like he/she has been rather unhelpful. WHy was measles suggested?

TillyScoutsmum Tue 05-Aug-08 13:28:06

GP sounds a bit useless. DD had cold and rash a couple of months ago and GP was able to effectively rule out measles by looking in her mouth and ears. She said it was a virus but was unable to be more specific.

I think going for a walk would be fine. As long as there's no playing closely with other children, there shouldn't be a problem

thelittlestbadger Tue 05-Aug-08 13:29:48

I think because it was a rash following a cold with a temperature. The GP basically decided that it was close enough to measles to refer it to the Health Protection Agency because there is a big epidemic on in London at the moment but we won't know for definite until the swab has been analysed (and we haven't had it yet!)

thelittlestbadger Tue 05-Aug-08 13:37:05

Thanks. I think we'll both go a bit stir crazy if we have to be in all day and she seems more cheerful now. I think I'll take her out in the pushchair with a raincover over it and see how we do.

Beeper Tue 05-Aug-08 15:13:24

If your DD has measles and has a fever taking her outside is a massive NO NO. She must not get a chill in the fever stages or it could turn into something more serious. Keep her warm and inside. And for pitys sake look up how to nurse someone with measles.

belgo Tue 05-Aug-08 16:46:09

Beeper - that's a little unfair - the OP is looking for advice on how to look after her child by starting this thread, having been given no useful advice from her GP.

thelittlestbadger Tue 05-Aug-08 17:30:29

Thanks Beeper hmm. DD doesn't have a temperature anymore, it dropped back to normal this morning when the rash appeared. She has also started eating again. We went out briefly in the push chair with a blanket on and it really cheered her up so I think it was the right thing to do.

Beeper Fri 08-Aug-08 20:17:14

Sorry for the harshness..not meant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now