Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

13 month old with a cold, hesty cough and snotty snezzy nose

(12 Posts)
lovelysongbird Tue 05-Aug-08 09:42:56

anything i can do to help my baby feel better?

mabel1973 Tue 05-Aug-08 09:50:50

calpol and Karvol?
I sympathise, my DS2 (22 months) is the same. In fact he has had the cough for over a month, i took him to the doctors yesterday but they would't give him anything.

Mikafan Tue 05-Aug-08 09:51:35

I sympathise. My DD has this at the moment too. I would suggest for her nose using saline drops and one of those gizmos where you suck the snot out of her nose to help her breathe easier. Don't know what to suggest for the cough as I think (don't know for sure) that cough remedies are only suitable for the over 2's.

lovelysongbird Tue 05-Aug-08 10:19:03

thankyou, its so horrible when they are ill isnt it, you just want to take it away from them.

shes watching in the night garden at the mo snuggled up with me

mabel1973 Tue 05-Aug-08 10:26:54

well thats something to be grateful for! I wish my DS would just snuggle up and watch tv. Instead he is following me round like a lost puppy constantly whining! it's very wearing!

lovelysongbird Tue 05-Aug-08 10:46:55

mabel, angry at your gp not giving your ds anything, poor little lamb having that for a month

Mikafan Tue 05-Aug-08 10:49:36

Also at nighttime a small dose of medised may help

mabel1973 Tue 05-Aug-08 11:50:07

I was told by our pharmacist that medised shouldn't be given to under 2's anymore, i think there was some scare in america.
So if you do give it, i would make it a very small dose.

lovelysongbird Tue 05-Aug-08 11:53:27

thanks for the advice, at least shes eatting her lunch ok, hopefully ill put her up for her nap soon.
smile

mabel1973 Tue 05-Aug-08 13:01:21

if she's eating that's the main thing. and sleeping it off will help. I think i read somewhere about raising their cot slightly at the top end helps the snot to drain out!

lovelysongbird Tue 05-Aug-08 13:11:37

thank's i'll try that tonight.

shes having her nap at the mosmile

Mikafan Tue 05-Aug-08 15:30:11

I think people were over medicating with the medised. As long as you keep to the instructions on the box it shoudl be fine. I only give my DD a dose at bedtime and stick to calpol in the day if she has a temperature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now