Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can you go to a&e with extreme toothache?

(16 Posts)
stuffing Mon 04-Aug-08 23:26:19

dp has toothache so bad he says he wants to die can you go to a&e

HumphreyPinCushion Mon 04-Aug-08 23:28:08

phone NHS direct and they will put you in touch with your local emergency dentist.
i hope he feel better soon

Collision Mon 04-Aug-08 23:29:36

yes you can.

I did on xmas eve and was lucky enough to have a dr who knew about teeth! hmm

He gave me antibiotics and strong painkillers.

I would rather be in labour than have that pain again.

Your poor DH.

blowsy Mon 04-Aug-08 23:30:43

I was at a&e a couple of weeks ago with dh (kitchen accident, don't ask).

There was a heavily pg woman there with chronic toothache, poor thing looked like she wanted to chop her own head off.

They seemed happy to treat her and she left clutching antib's, looking somewhat relieved.

MrsMacaroon Mon 04-Aug-08 23:31:10

jesus- been there many a time... wot humphrey says is best, just call NHS direct.

gigglewitch Mon 04-Aug-08 23:31:35

sounds like an abscess or something sad
you should have a local emergency / out of hours dental service, we can contact ours through ringing normal local dentist's phone number and pick up a mobile number for the on-call.
Not a lot that a&e can do except for painkillers if they are willing to, prob better to try get dental help if you can.

stuffing Mon 04-Aug-08 23:33:27

he went to dentist today but he gave him 7 day antibiotics then to return next week but hes had it for about five days before going to dentist and he has had three doses of the antibiotics and he says the pain is just getting worse
we rang the nhs direct then was referred to emergency dentist it took an hour for them to ring us back then when they did ring they just told him that it was to late to do anything now and advised him what painkillers to take

gigglewitch Mon 04-Aug-08 23:34:51

is this any use?

gigglewitch Mon 04-Aug-08 23:37:32

looks like you live somewhere with sh#te dentists sad
A&E can't refuse to see him if he is in pain - worth a go if desperate. Poor him.

stuffing Mon 04-Aug-08 23:38:01

were in warwickshire thanks i tried our out of hours and was told it was to late to do anything now we phoned at about 9.30 and they phoned back about an hour later

shirleyghostman Mon 04-Aug-08 23:40:40

go to A&E - if they feel that is not worth their time, they will tell you.

MrsMacaroon Tue 05-Aug-08 00:23:45

could be that the antibiotics haven't kicked in yet...they'd probably just give you anti-bs at A&E anyway.

if his face is swelling i'd recommend emergency treatment but if not, you'd be best just treating the pain and waiting till morning but keep taking the antibiotics- they'll work eventually.

TinkerBellesMum Tue 05-Aug-08 00:39:53

I did, NHS Direct wanted to call an ambulance! There's not much they can do for you but they can give you stronger painkillers than you may have at home and ABs.

pyjamarama Tue 05-Aug-08 11:18:02

TBH I don't think there is much point, unless he has facial swelling, you would only be given more painkillers/ antibiotics. If he has already had a decent course of antibiotics (there is no evidence for antibiotics in toothache anyway) then he needs to go back to the dentist and either have the toth out or have root canal treatment.

ComeOVeneer Tue 05-Aug-08 11:21:36

If he is alraedy on AB's and strong painkillers there isnothing else A&E can do, an IME in those sort of cses they are not best pleased with people (in their mind) wasting their time. Unfortunately if there is an abcess/infection it is very difficult to treat the tooth until that has cleared as it blocks the anaesthetic from working properly so the tooth won't go numb in order to treat it.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 05-Aug-08 13:24:31

Do you have a local dental hospital- they have emergency walk-ins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now