Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why are most american baby boys circumcised?

(178 Posts)
33k Mon 04-Aug-08 22:35:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MakemineaGandT Mon 04-Aug-08 22:37:31

they think it is healthier/cleaner - it is the norm over there

PinkTulips Mon 04-Aug-08 22:40:46

horrible practice.

bad enough if your religion requires it but to do it for no good reason is just horrible

just shows how utterly backward the american healthcare system is doesn't it

QOD Mon 04-Aug-08 22:46:06

because they are too lazy to pull the skin back
SNORTING HERE grin

Its a cultural thing, lots seem to also get babies ears pierced AT the hospital, the nurse takes the baby off?? WTF!

Each to their own, I have a lot of American friends and we constantly bicker about it LOL

Relgious wise, fine, but surely they are there for a reason, they usually cite the "well its better to be done when they are a weeny baby than aged 10 when the skins too tight"
but not EVERY English boy HAS to get it done, its deffo the exception not the norm here isnt it.

MintChocAddict Mon 04-Aug-08 22:46:37

Hijack (sorry grin) - I've also been watching a lot of Discovery H&H stuff. Anyhoo, why do all US newborns appear to have vaseline or something wet and shiny smeared around their eyes very soon after birth??

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:51:27

Because they're obsessed with willies.

And they think its cleaner (there is evidence to suggest that circumcised men are less likely to get willy cancer and HIV).

PinkTulips Mon 04-Aug-08 22:57:45

mint... i know the answer to that. it's some sort of antibiotic eye ointment to stop them getting gunky eyes (because wiping them once a day with cotton wool is so taxing obviously hmm)

it's mentioned in all the american birthing books

Pruners Mon 04-Aug-08 23:00:59

Message withdrawn

MintChocAddict Mon 04-Aug-08 23:02:31

Thanks Pink Tulips. Mystery solved!! It's been bugging me for ages smile
I must stop watching daytime TV
I must st...... grin

PinkTulips Mon 04-Aug-08 23:11:17

lol.... have you seen that one 'deliver me'?

omg.... i watch it just to reassure myself that no matter how horrible hospital birth are here they're positively hippyish compared to american hospitals.

one woman was made have a c section because of her 'huge' baby that 'there was no way she could deliver vaginally' .

the baby was 8lbs5 hmm and she wasn't a small woman

MintChocAddict Mon 04-Aug-08 23:18:31

Makes me appreciate the old NHS. All the US deliveries seem to feature a tanned, male MD with a moustache and a wacky bandana/surgical hat thingy, looking all macho and in control while the poor woman is lying flat on her back with her legs hoiked up in stirrups. shock And why have all the delivering ladies got huge woolly socks on? They must be boiling! grin

MintChocAddict Mon 04-Aug-08 23:23:59

Sorry to OP for hijacking thread. blush

PinkTulips Mon 04-Aug-08 23:31:43

i know.... i was standing naked in front of a fan with dp dousing me in cold water at the pushing stage and i was till boiling alive shock

it looks so uncomfortable having your feet up like that.... i gave birth to ds in my back but i had my legs stretched out to the end of the bed, would have crippled me to me doubled up like that.

sorry, i'm continueing the hijack blush

dooneygirl Mon 04-Aug-08 23:46:15

Actually, it has nothing to do with us not wanting to wipe. It has something to do with the baby getting "germs" in the eyes from coming out the birth canal. My friends who had c-sections didn't have to do this. I think I threw my (non-male, non-moustached) Dr. off enough both times that they forgot, and I never bothered to tell them. And I've never had a c-section, despite giving birth to a 9 pounder, never wore socks, and never had stirrups, either.

PinkTulips Tue 05-Aug-08 00:00:07

erm... our babies get gunky eyes coz of those 'germs', we simply wipe with cotton wool and sterile water and it clears up witout needing antibiotics hmm

maybe it's just the especially torturous ones they show on tv but birth over there certainly looks horrific.

Califrau Tue 05-Aug-08 00:11:50

QuintessentialShadows Tue 05-Aug-08 00:14:14

Isnt it only Americans of Jewish descent that circumsize? (Forgive my ignorance, if this is not so. Seinfeld and Friends are my only source of wisdom on the american circumsicion front)

QuintessentialShadows Tue 05-Aug-08 00:14:59

note to self: must learn to spell circumcision.

dooneygirl Tue 05-Aug-08 00:15:28

I guess it just depends. I don't have TV shows of British births, but my experience being on the ante-natal threads didn't make me too hip on some of the aspects of giving birth over there, with lots of people on my particular thread having suffered miscarriages and having to wait up to weeks to get seen or scanned. When I had a bad bleed, my Dr. had me in her office within 40 minutes of my call. And then so many there were on huge wards with no privacy, where I had a private room that I was in the entire time that had a bed for DH to stay in. I was furnished a birthing ball in my room, and each room had a huge tub that you could use to labor in.

I know what you mean about the TV shows of American births, I watched them and they turned me off, and made me not want to go through that experience. You're just not getting the whole picture. A lot of people I know gave birth at home, or in a midwife center, and their experience was nothing like the crazy people on TV that gave birth to an audience of piles of people while being all tied up and displaying their unfortunate choice in footwear. I think reading some people's birth stories here certainly gives you a horrific view of some aspects of birth on the NHS. I just think neither system is perfect, they both definitely have drawbacks and it is easy to generalize and draw your own conclusions, which may or may not be true, depending on the circumstances.

Califrau Tue 05-Aug-08 00:22:41

expatinscotland Tue 05-Aug-08 00:26:32

The rate has dropped below 50% overall.

My family are Latin American in descent and none of the males are circumcised.

All the baby girls had their ears pierced by the time of their baptism at about 2 months of age, though. wink

expatinscotland Tue 05-Aug-08 00:26:34

The rate has dropped below 50% overall.

My family are Latin American in descent and none of the males are circumcised.

All the baby girls had their ears pierced by the time of their baptism at about 2 months of age, though. wink

expatinscotland Tue 05-Aug-08 00:31:25

No, I was too wussy. DH had to take them in for their baby jabs.

My dad was born at home, FWIW. All 6 of them were.

I've not had any babies in the US, but I can't say I'd like that experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now