Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

PLEASE help me with my Arse Ache.

(17 Posts)
MarkStretch Mon 04-Aug-08 18:11:40

I am 13 weeks pregnant.

Since about 8 weeks I have had pain in the lower left hand side of my back. It spreads into my buttock and the top of my leg.

It hurts.

My arse hurts so much it takes me half an hour to get up off my chair. And then I have a wonky walk.

WHAT IS IT?

Is it pregnancy related? Or just coincidence? I have never had it before.

cocolepew Mon 04-Aug-08 18:13:26

Sounds like Siatica (sp)

Podrick Mon 04-Aug-08 18:14:35

Could be unstable pelvis related to pregnancy

noonki Mon 04-Aug-08 18:17:23

sounds like sciatica to me

I have had it on and off for years - I've tried loads of treatment and by far the best has been reflexology

is it a sharp pain?

MarkStretch Mon 04-Aug-08 18:20:19

My Dad had sciatica for years and I thought it was more of a nerve pain.

This is more of a constant dull ache in my left hip and buttock.

Owwww.

noonki Mon 04-Aug-08 18:24:54

for me it is a sharp pain followed by a constant dull ache in the side of my buttock (in the dip)

Mine goes down my keg to my achilles tendon

sympathies
- get it checked out as it could be many things, pregnancy joy!

Littlefish Mon 04-Aug-08 18:27:09

If it is sciatica - get yourself off to a chiropractor or osteopath. You have my sympathies - it can be really painful.

MarkStretch Mon 04-Aug-08 18:27:25

Thank you all

I was wondering if it might be due to the ligament relaxant thingy you get when pg?

I will ask my midwife.

noonki Mon 04-Aug-08 18:34:33

it deffo could be - is it your second?

I ask because I got pregnant whilst still brestfeeding DS1 (not whilst not while grin)

and when you stop breastfeeding you also release some relaxing hormones so I got a double dosage and LOADs of joint probs

MarkStretch Mon 04-Aug-08 18:39:32

Yes it is my second but my first is 6yrs old now.

I never had any joint problems with her.

It hurts more if I sit or lean over to my left side.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 04-Aug-08 18:46:59

I get this, I think it is sciatica. Got it sometimes before children, but worse now I'm pg for 2nd time. Think it doesn't help lifting toddler DS either.

Things that have helped - sitting on a birth ball, yoga sometimes, also (and this is a little embarrasing) DH vigourously wobbling the offending buttock. I don't ask for that often, as DH generally takes it as a comeon hmm

MarkStretch Mon 04-Aug-08 18:49:11

Funny you should say that but DH gave it a 'need' and it felt better.

Am going to persuade him to do it again.

girlnextdoor Mon 04-Aug-08 18:49:19

sciatica- baby lying on sciatic nerve- or trapping it. it might go quite soon.

misi Mon 04-Aug-08 18:53:18

yes, sounds like sciatica to me too. the sharp pain is the nerve being pinched again, the dull ache is the resulting pain that the body reduces as it gets used to it. as you are getting different levels of pain, it could mean that it is not too far gone or bad yet. it can be caused by the way the womb sits inside you or the ligament relaxing thing but at 13 weeks, its less likely to be this as the ligament thing comes in later I beleive?
get checked out by the hospital when you go for an appointment or make an appointment as soon as to check first then go to a good/registered osteopath licenced and insured to work on pregnant women (not all are)

ten10 Mon 04-Aug-08 18:55:14

yes I also think it is sciatica, very common,

I get it regularly because I suffer from recurring inflamation in the sciatic joint in my hip, if the inflamation gets bad it can trap the nerve causing sciatica.

I don't want to worry you but this then gave me all my contraction pain through the back of my hips during labour

TinkerBellesMum Tue 05-Aug-08 21:13:15

Sounds like sciatic pain, but they now say that sciatic pain comes under PGP (new name for SPD) so it needs to be seen by an obstetric physio. Your hospital should be able to arrange it.

emma1977 Tue 05-Aug-08 21:26:03

Sciatica.

Had it all the way through pregnancy but it got better as soon as I gave birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now