Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Newborn and eye infection

(11 Posts)
EvaStrid Mon 04-Aug-08 17:53:24

My babygirl who is 2.5 weeks old has had what looks like an infected eye for over a week. Our GP prescribed eye drops just in case but advised to not use it for a bit as it could easily be a blocked tear duct. I clean it with boiled water and cotton a few times a day and it appears to have improved slightly however it is still there. Any advise on what it is and how to treat it? It doesn't appear to bother her that much and I am almost certain that it's not conjunctivitis so reluctant to use the prescription.

Seona1973 Mon 04-Aug-08 19:39:17

are you breastfeeding? Apparently a bit of breastmilk put into the eye can help with infections as it has anti-bacterial properties

moondog Mon 04-Aug-08 19:40:28

I go with the breastmilk thing too.

FeelingLucky Mon 04-Aug-08 19:41:33

Sticky eye?
breastmilk works wonders

BellaBear Mon 04-Aug-08 19:41:37

breastmilk sorted that out for my ds really quickly!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 04-Aug-08 19:41:45

Breastmilk works very well. I used it on DS1 once, when he was 5 (I was still bfing DS2 at this point) and he said it didn't sting, either. The eyedrops always sting.

katiepotatie Mon 04-Aug-08 19:44:34

breastmilk worked a treat on dd's sticky eye, when she was new born too

katiepotatie Mon 04-Aug-08 19:45:38

Oh also a little cooled salted boiled water, if you're not breastfeeding

ruty Mon 04-Aug-08 19:47:17

my dd was born with this and it persisted until she was about ten weeks. I kept cleaning it and putting breast milk in it and it has now cleared.

EvaStrid Tue 05-Aug-08 17:12:37

brilliant. Will try this. thank you.

elmoandella Tue 05-Aug-08 17:14:35

another vote for breast milk here too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now