Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HELP! DD has just got an ear infection and we're due to fly back to UK tomorrow..

(20 Posts)
brightongirldownunder Mon 04-Aug-08 16:20:27

I've been waiting for this moment for so long and now its been ruined. Went to docs and she said its a mild infection and i could take DD tomorrow but tonight she had a fever again and refused to eat. what the hell should I do? I've started her on antibiotics, she's also on regular doses of nurofen. The main problem is that if I cancel the flight I'll have to wait until next year to see family again as all flights from Sydney to H'row booked for next couple of weeks.
Bugger, bugger, bugger
I don't want to put DD though 22 hours of flying if she's going to be in pain, and am feeling like a bad mother as I miss my family so much and am still contemplating going tomorrow.
What do I do?

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:38:27

Oh dear, I don't envy you.

If she has an inner ear infection (behind the eardrum), the changes in cabin pressure will be VERY painful for her and may even cause her eardrum to rupture. However, an outer ear infection (in the canal in front of the ear drum) won't be affected by cabin pressure.

If it was a short flight, it may be worth the risk, but you and dd could be in for 22 hours of misery sad.

prettybird Mon 04-Aug-08 16:43:31

How old is dd? If the docotr said she should be OK, then don't feel a bad mum. If you've already started on her anyt biotics, they should have had a chance to kick in by tomorrow.

Look at the possibility of giving her calpol (infacnt paracetamol) as well as nurofen if she is in pain: the two pain killers work in different ways and can be taken at the same time (as advised to me by GP best friend).

If there are porblems with pressure causing ear pain, I think there are ways to alleviate it: eg putting a warm plastic cup over the ear (never tried it myself, so not sure if/how it works)

brightongirldownunder Mon 04-Aug-08 16:43:46

Doc said ear was red but not worryingly so. Seems odd considering she's got flu like symptoms.
Oh god why do I live so far away?

brightongirldownunder Mon 04-Aug-08 16:44:31

prettybird DD is 15 months

Romy7 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:44:43

massive calpol and ibuprofen and go for it. chances are the anti-bs will be just kicking in anyway.

we flew ds1 home to canada with a ruptured ear drum... grin

but get a gp appointment in the morning for a last minute check. bet they say to go - worth asking for some mild sedative (for you or her lol) just in case?

good luck x

brightongirldownunder Mon 04-Aug-08 16:48:37

I'm still b/f DD, so am hoping that may help with pressure.

prettybird Mon 04-Aug-08 16:53:33

I was going to ask if you were still b/f, as that would really help. Try to leave off feeding until the last possible minute - like taxi-ing down the runway. She'll be on your lap anyway in the lap-belt, so you should be able to get her into position to feed her. Ditto with the descents - leave it as late as possible.

I fed ds when he was 13 months old going to/from South Africa and it made the flights much more bearable.

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:55:50

If you decide to go, BF on take off and landing will definitely help ease any pressure changes. And take lots of paracetamol and ibuprofen with you.

I would strongly advise not giving her any sedating medication unless she has had it before and been OK. The reason being that it can have the opposite effect in 10% of children and make them massively hyperactive, which is probably not what you want for 22 hours in a confined space when she is poorly!

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:56:45

Snap, prettybird. I'm so slow at typing!

brightongirldownunder Mon 04-Aug-08 16:57:15

Thanks romy and prettybird. I'm keeping fingers crossed she's better tomorrow now that she's had some anti b's.
She's been so well recently and now she looks tiny and frail. She's lost weight and I really wanted DP's to see her bouncy and healthy sad

brightongirldownunder Mon 04-Aug-08 17:00:08

Thanks emma - she's had some medised before when we were in the UK - tht contains anti-histamine doesn't it? I know she's too young for sedation, but think it may help her more than me - i hate giving her anything that isn't created by mother nature.

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 17:05:51

As long as she's had it before, then give it a bash. Just remember it contains paracetamol, so you don't need to give her that in addition, but ibuprofen is safe to give.

TinkerBellesMum Mon 04-Aug-08 17:14:29

Ask a pharmacist if there are decongestant tablets for children.

I suffer with my ears on flights, I'm hard of hearing anyway, when I was 9 I perforated a drum and was fortunate there was a doctor and his nurse wife with bag because it can't go in hold and Mum (it was the only flight I took before I was 21 where I wasn't alone). Planes carry a mini pharmacy so he was able to prescribe drugs for me.

When I was 13 a Stewardess told me that she takes decongestant tablets before each flight and landing if the flight is long enough. I've done it since and it does work.

brightongirldownunder Mon 04-Aug-08 17:19:20

emma they don't do medised over here but doc has prescribed antihistamine solution. Its for allergies obviously, but she said it wasn't as strong as phenergan

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 17:22:17

Antihistamine should be OK to use.

I don't think decongestants are licenced for kids this age, but it may be different where you are.

brightongirldownunder Mon 04-Aug-08 17:24:53

the laws changed here - most over the counter products that are decongestants or sedatives are banned for under 2's now, except when kindly doc prescribes them for me.

TinkerBellesMum Mon 04-Aug-08 17:25:30

I have no idea which is why I suggested asking, I was 13 when I first did it so much older.

prettybird Mon 04-Aug-08 17:28:02

Hope it goes well anyway - and that your dd is soon restored to her cheery, healthy self.

brightongirldownunder Mon 04-Aug-08 17:29:42

Thanks PB!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now