Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

St Johns Wort - headache side effects?

(8 Posts)
splittingheadache Mon 04-Aug-08 13:07:52

I've been feeling a bit more than 'a bit down' on and off for ages; after a conversation at work and a bit of research, I started taking St Johns Wort 2 weeks ago. Last week I was ill (some sort of summer flu thing) and since about last Wed I've had a splitting headache; I'm back at work but my headache's still coming in waves - especially if I walk around (I'm mainly desk-based). I'm not usually a head-achey person but it's just occurred to me that it might be linked to the SJW?? I can't find this listed as a usual side effect - anyone know anything different??

misi Mon 04-Aug-08 13:30:20

never had anyone have headaches like this with SJW before, but what I can say is that SJW can make some people photosensitive. this is usually in the form that your skin burns quicker than normal when exposed to sun (very few people have this effect and it is only when you take high doses for long time). I have little idea then if this is linked to SJW but if you have blue, green or grey eyes, it may be possible bright lights or your computer screen are effecting you through the SJW?
what is the dose you are on? either in mg's of st johns wort or the hypericin content in mcg. if you are worried then there are a couple of other herbs I can tell you about for you to research for this

chocaholic73 Mon 04-Aug-08 13:32:44

I don't think it would be a side effect of SJW (I've been on it myself for several years and have never heard of this). I presume you've checked it out against any medication you're on. I think this sounds far more likely to be a continuation of your virus. Sometimes these things have a sting in the tail and take a while to get over. Maybe you've gone back to work too soon. Hope you feel better soon.

splittingheadache Mon 04-Aug-08 13:34:06

Thanks. They're the Healthspan ones - ie 300mg Hypericum Perforatum containing 900mcg Hypericin. Interesting re computer lights, but today's my first day back and I've had the headache on and off since last Wednesday

misi Mon 04-Aug-08 13:55:59

chocoholic has a point there, did you check interactions out with any meds currently on? if not let me know what if any other meds you are on and I can check my drug/herb interactions database as a start.
were your ears affected by your flu thing by any chance?

splittingheadache Mon 04-Aug-08 14:10:16

I'm not on any other medications, other than I was taking Lemsip Direct early last week and have been having paracetomol for the headache. Ears are affected like being in an aeroplane - ie keep having to yawn to hear things properly

misi Mon 04-Aug-08 14:15:57

your headaches could be due to blocked ears causing dizzyness. the pressure of an infection or blocked ears could be causing the headaches too.
if your ears cannot perform their balancing function properly, then that results in dizzyness but constant inbalance can cause headaches as your brain struggles to find equilibrium. go to the GP to get your ears checked. there are some funny ear infections going around at the moment, best to be safe as some are quite nasty

splittingheadache Mon 04-Aug-08 16:44:40

thanks misi; I'll do that - going on for too long now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now