Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Finally got an appointment with the dietician - what essential questions should we ask?

(6 Posts)
Gloria42 Mon 04-Aug-08 11:02:37

DP was diagnosed with coeliac about 8 weeks ago. We finally have our dietician appointment tomorrow and I want to make sure we don't miss anything important. Does anyone have any suggestions what we should be asking? I've done quite a bit of internet research but they're the experts....
I think they'll be able to arrange prescritions for bread etc? Is this right?
Thanks

cmotdibbler Mon 04-Aug-08 11:08:40

Sometimes they aren't the experts sadly - a lot of people get out of date advice from dieticians who aren't up to date.

Ask about things like calcium intake, recs for supplements etc

chopchopbusybusy Mon 04-Aug-08 11:10:43

They will be able to tell you what and what quantity of food is available on prescription. Hopefully, they will have a list of which restaurants locally can cater for gluten free diet. They should be able to sort out things like osteoporosis test. Has he been asked to complete a food diary? They usually want four days including at least one weekend day.

They usually give out forms to request free samples of prescription items, so that you can try in advance of ordering.

They should also make sure you have contacted and registered with CUK and have received a copy of the food directory which can be useful initially.

They will offer help on avoiding cross contamination in the kitchen. Eg separate, butter, jam, toaster etc.

chopchopbusybusy Mon 04-Aug-08 11:11:50

Actually, completely agree with cmot, they are not always expert and the advice can be a bit hit or miss.

girlnextdoor Mon 04-Aug-08 11:20:49

You will probably be better off by joining one of the support groups online.

I am not coeliac but I am gluten free- and it's not that hard when you get used to it. I am intolerant rather than allergic so don't have to be as careful as a coeliac and can clip up now and then with no real lasting effects.

Eating out tends to be the biggest issue so you might need to get used to taking goody bags with you everywhere.

Hope he gets on ok.

Gloria42 Mon 04-Aug-08 19:59:39

Thanks everyone. I do feel quite clued up myself, but I'm sure there's a lot to learn. He hasn't been asked for a food diary, maybe we have to go back for that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now