Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quick replies - do I take ds2 to playgroup with a chest infection?

(9 Posts)
Miaou Mon 04-Aug-08 09:58:02

I'm sure you all read that and thought "no!" , but -

- he is happy and chirpy
- he is on antibiotics and it's not infectious (according to gp)
- he loves going (as does ds1)

but he has a rather drastic-sounding cough ...

Miaou Mon 04-Aug-08 12:52:35

grin glad I didn't wait for the answer then!

schneebly Mon 04-Aug-08 12:53:40

I would have said yes if he is happy and GP says it isn't infectious!

I take it you went then? grin

lljkk Mon 04-Aug-08 12:55:37

I would have taken him if he felt up for it, the infection is probably caused by some very common bacteria that 85% of us normally carry without ill effects.

misi Mon 04-Aug-08 14:01:21

I would say no as the infectious question is about infecting other kids, but what you should be thinking is that if he has a chest infection, it means his lung defences will be compromised and there is more chance if him picking up infections from other kids. if it were a common cold I would say if the nursery are not worried then do so if he feels ok, but when a=on anti b's I would wait for a few days to help his body fight the infection. being exposed to even the common bugs floating around in the air all the time could have a more dramitic effect if he is exposed to them. the cough is his bodies way of getting rid of the mucos the body makes to protect itself and the residue that the immune system creats when it attacks and ''eats up'' the invader. until the cough subsides a bit which means his body is winning, I would keep him at home but allow him to play in the open air if possible

Miaou Mon 04-Aug-08 18:33:04

misi, if it was a nursery I wouldn't have taken him as it would have been too much for him, but this was an hour-long playgroup, where he stayed with me (and actually spent a good third of the time breastfeeding hmm grin) so I felt it was ok. He was very happy to be there and I made sure he didn't go slathering over any other children wink

tweeni Mon 04-Aug-08 18:54:54

i am jealous you still have playgroups in the school holidays.

Miaou Tue 05-Aug-08 13:59:51

I know, we are very lucky! Not every day but there are three a week we can go to.

Not gone out today though - ds2 is having a pyjama day (the dds and ds1 are having a "I'm very bored" day grin)

tweeni Tue 05-Aug-08 16:42:32

all ours are attached to schools and churches so they always close for the holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now