Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

after pains from 4th baby?????

(9 Posts)
mumtoo3 Mon 04-Aug-08 07:47:25

I am thinking about having another baby in a year or two but i need to get this questin cleared up!!!

I had 3 natural deliveries (all inductions due to pre eclmpsia and spd), but after my 3rd my spd was so bad i could not walk and still 9 months later i struggle!

Anyway, me and my dh would like 1 more baby, and i can get a c section if i need one, cause of my spd and spinal problems, but i know it sounds silly but does anyone know if you have a c section how does it effect the after birth pains or do you not get any??????? sorry to sound silly but i keep thnking about it ahhhhh

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Aug-08 07:52:31

I had a c section and never had any after pains (never even heard of them until I came on here) my dd2 was vbac and never had any pains after her either - sorry

maturestudent Mon 04-Aug-08 08:03:13

I'm pretty sure after pains are caused by the uterus contracting back down following birth. This explains why the pain intensifies when breast feeding as it causes more contraction. No matter how you deliver the uterus has to shrink back down so you will get pains.
I know its subjective as we all experience different levels of pain etc but I found pains got slightly worse with each baby with my last one, no 4 , definately the worst. But they are short lived and you can have painkillers if needed.
hth, Mel x

butwhybutwhy Mon 04-Aug-08 08:17:45

Like what MS said, mine have been worse after each child.
With nmy third I was still getting the pains a couple of days after.

belgo Mon 04-Aug-08 08:20:48

My friend's just had her fourth baby and the after pains were awful, but you can take medication for it.

But I'm not sure after a c-section - I think it depends on how long you are left with the epidural.

bigcar Mon 04-Aug-08 08:52:50

As others have said, you still get after pains after a cs, but you can also get strong painkillers. I had my 4th 2 years ago by cs and spent the following week nicely doped up on painkillers from the hospital so didn't feel any after pains. Although you are uncomfortable (rather than in pain) from the cs wound for quite a while after.

hatrick Mon 04-Aug-08 09:01:27

Message withdrawn

mumtoo3 Mon 04-Aug-08 12:49:49

thanks for your replys, it makes things a bit easier in my head at least!!! i found after my 3rd it was labour pains all over again but only when i fed her!

thanks again for clearing it up x

VictorianSqualor Mon 04-Aug-08 13:05:37

My after pains with DC3 (3rd CS) were horrendous.
I had to take DS off the breast and get up and walk around, I felt like I was in labour.
Thw worst were about 2 days after, I had the cs on the tuesday and on the thursday afternoon I was in agony.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now