Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

URGENT - Diarrhea advice

(6 Posts)
crouchingtigeress Thu 10-Feb-05 23:21:26

My 19 month old has had the above for THREE WEEKS. Luckily he seems fine, is drinking and eating normally. But has 3 soiled (average) nappies a day.

The doctor says just keep giving fluids. His stools sample came back as normal.

I think I may lose my job soon as I have been away for several weeks.

Has any one experienced this with their toddler?

PLEASE any advice would be appreciated.

vict17 Thu 10-Feb-05 23:24:11

My 10 month ds has about 3 or more dirty nappies a day if that's any help

ionesmum Thu 10-Feb-05 23:27:30

Yes, my dd1 was the same at this age, and still is sometimes. It's usually due to a food intolerance and they will outgrow it. If he is otherwise well, I wouldn't worry, although you could try keeping a food diary to see if there are any trigger foods, usually wheat or dairy. hth

suzanneme Thu 10-Feb-05 23:35:48

Sounds pretty normal for a toddler to me - they call it 'toddler diarrhoea'. Are his nappies actually loose? In any case 3 a day isn't that bad in my book...DD often has 4-5! Sorry not to be more help, but it should go as he gets a bit older. Surely he can go back to nursery if his samples are clear? Loads of small kiddies have this and it's perfectly normal in most cases.

Fran1 Thu 10-Feb-05 23:47:23

Tell the nursery it is not diarrhea just loose poos!

You have tests to prove it is nothing contagious.

My dd had a several months worth of loose poos around that age and i put it down to the fact that she was guzzling too much cow's milk. (she was having a bottle to go to bed with, and again in the night because i was trying to stop bf at time) And she also drinks a lot of cow's milk in cups during the day etc.

crouchingtigeress Fri 11-Feb-05 00:15:12

Sounds good, otherwise I might be off for a year.
Thank you all for your advice, now get some sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now