Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i've got tonsillitis - scared dds will get it.

(8 Posts)
ionesmum Thu 10-Feb-05 22:47:24

Don't know if there's anything any one can do but need to get this off my chest.

I have had a cold now for a week and last night started with a sore throat. I had about 1hr sleep all night, dd2 had night feeds too. Went to my gp who said I have tonsilitis on top of the cold. She said it's strep and obviously this could be dodgy for my dds (aged 3 and 10 mo.) They are coughing, and it is the cough that has made my throat a lot more sore than is usual. My tonsils are so swollen I'm gagging on them (sorry, I know that's gross.) I am so scared that the dds will get it, particularly dd2 as she only b/feeds (won't take a cup) and I am scared about her getting dehydrated.

I am on mega doses of antibiotics and pain killers. We have all been ill since October and this is the last straw. I can't see any way we are going to get a break and get well as there are so many things around, and we live in a tiny house and are on top of each other all the time.

I know this is all relatively minor but I really don't think I can cope with any more.

ionesmum Thu 10-Feb-05 23:24:11

i'm bumping this - can anyone reassure me?

i don't know what to do.

milward Thu 10-Feb-05 23:31:37

ionesmum - being sick with kids to look after is terrible. Bf will help your little one get your immunity - even though you're sick the bit of antibodies she will get from you will help. Keep bf - could you try bf lying in bed (safety guidelines here!). I've done this & just being able to bf & sleep really helped. Watch out for thrush from the antibiotics - itching in the breast, soreness, sometimes white spots in babys mouth. Doesn't always happen though!! Is there anyone that could come & help you - just clear up, make a meal and bring you a cup of tea? I don't have any family close by & last year had everyone sick - I thought I'd never survive the tiredness. Sending you lots of best wishes xxx

ionesmum Thu 10-Feb-05 23:37:00

thank you. just knowing someone has taken the time to reply helps. i am worried about thrush, let's hope that doesn't happen! my mum is coming tomorrow, (she lives an hour away) i will be so glad to see her, and dh is here too. i just wish i could get some sleep.

milward Thu 10-Feb-05 23:42:07

Can you have your mum do lots for you all? Just let you stay in bed doing nothing apart from relaxing. bf in bed if possible and let your mum play with your other dd? Last year was so difficult for me with illnesses all around - so pleased for you that your mum can be there. Take care of yourself, be super kind to yourself and when you get through this you'll be sooo happy Lots of best wishes xxx

suedonim Fri 11-Feb-05 01:07:48

Hope the a/b's start working by morning, Ionesmum. Once you've taken them for a day or two you're no longer infectious, so hopefully the little ones won't get it. Take care!

ionesmum Fri 11-Feb-05 10:26:15

thank you all so much . it's great to know I won't be infectious for too much longer! I feel a bit better all ready as the swelling has gone down.

The bad news is dh thinks he's starting with it!

milward Fri 11-Feb-05 20:53:54

Hope you're feeling better today and that your mum is enabling you to rest by looking after everything - hope your dh doesn't get it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now