Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena Coil - Acne and low sex drive

(4 Posts)
cecilie Sun 03-Aug-08 19:23:17

I had the Mirena coil fitted 18 months ago and since I have not felt much like having sex and I have spots on my face always. I never had a problem with either of these prior to the coil. I also have mood swings more than usual.

Does anyone else have this experience?

If I get it it removed, how is the normal coil? I want to avoid anything with hormones and condoms is not a preferred option, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cecilie

DoubleBluff Sun 03-Aug-08 19:24:10

I had both those probs when i was on Mirena

emma1977 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:56:42

You are describing fairly common side effects of mirena, which would settle if you had it removed.

A normal coil has no hormones,so shouldn't give you the same problem. However, your periods may be heavier and more irregular and the coils themselves aren't licenced for as long.

It is pretty easy to remove and replace a coil at the same session, just speak to whoever fitted it or your local FPC for advice.

cecilie Wed 06-Aug-08 13:28:10

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I have booked an appointment to get my mirena coil removed in a couple of weeks.

I want my body back! wink

I have decided to opt for condoms and the persona monitor as contraception. I used this before without problems and it is all natural.

I'm sick of not wanting sex, snapping at my family for the smallest things and having spots on my chin area of my face. angry

Take care,
Cecilie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now