Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know of a Coenzyme Q-10 supplement suitable for children?

(21 Posts)
parachutes Sun 03-Aug-08 18:37:41

Would be grateful if you could let me know.
Thanks

ivykaty44 Sun 03-Aug-08 18:43:15

As a child you will produce enough of the stuff - it is as you age that product goes down and you can take a supplement to give you the enegry you had as a child.

Why do you want it for a child? Is your child lacking in energy?

parachutes Sun 03-Aug-08 18:45:32

Hi, thanks for your message. My son has M.E. an d it was suggested that this supplement may help. I'm having difficulty finding one.

shrinkingsagpuss Sun 03-Aug-08 18:47:39

I thought "EyeQ" was that stuff? might google and find out.

shrinkingsagpuss Sun 03-Aug-08 18:48:59

erm... nope. got that one wrong!!

parachutes Sun 03-Aug-08 18:50:29

No I think you might be right! I've just had a look and it does list CoQ10....will look into it a bit further. Thanks alot.

shrinkingsagpuss Mon 04-Aug-08 17:34:26

www.simplysupplements.net/enzyme-75mg-p-292.html?gclid=CITKq67O9JQCFQ2qQwodKhqQrQ

try this link too - its a site called simply supplments, and is an english site.

misi Mon 04-Aug-08 18:02:19

how old is the child?
any other meds they are on?

CoQ10 is great for ME as without it, the muscles/cells cannot produce energy, but under 12 I would not self prescribe Q10.

30 mg is a usual dose for maintainane in adults, 100mg is good for a theraputic dose, for certain conditions I have heard of doses much higher being used up to 100mg x 5 times daily

also Q10 suppls vary geatly. a dry powder 30 mg tab will not be anywhere near as useful as an oil based 30mg capsule which will in itself be less useful than a microencapsulated variety that is now available. it is all about how bio available the Q10 is.

parachutes Mon 04-Aug-08 21:06:16

Thanks misi and shrinkingsagpuss x

Misi-ds is five. He's been ill since just before he was 3 and was only diagnosed this April.
I'm in touch with a woman who has a dd that is very ill (with M.E plus other associated problems) and she mentioned the benefits of Q10...I'm still looking into it but I won't be giving him anything at all without first checking that it's completely safe smile

noonki Mon 04-Aug-08 21:19:45

hi parachutes -

I had ME for about 2 years and it appears to have come back

I don't know anything about Coenzyme 10 for your son but I am writing as I want to give him and you lots of sympathy

it is a truly awful illness for everyone involved and for a child it is worse

what are his symptoms? - if you don't want to talk about it, you don't have to reply if you don't want to.

i just want to know that I am thinking of you both

Sidge Mon 04-Aug-08 21:24:02

We tried this in an attempt to help DD2 who has a genetic disorder - we tried it when she was younger but didn't notice any significant difference (her syndrome has a metabolic disorder and muscle weakness amongst other things)

misi Mon 04-Aug-08 21:54:48

sidge, if your daughters syndrome is downs then the amount of Q10 you would need to use is probably higher than you can buy over the counter. I said earlier that quality and bio availablity of the different brands varies greatlyand the brands most often on sale are a powdered form. to get 30mg absorbed by the body from these pills you would probably need to take around 3 or 4?

parachutes, (and sidge) I have dug out my old clinical info notes from a company called springfield nutraceuticals. they lead the field in Q10 testing and manufacture and the bio availability of their Q10 products is second to none. look up www.springfieldnutra.com (they are a dutch firm so you will need to click on the union flag to turn the words into english) there is a 'contact us' link or you could e mail them with questions at info@springfieldnutra.com

Sidge Mon 04-Aug-08 22:07:54

Hi Misi, no she doesn't have Downs, she has Prader-Willi Syndrome. We tried 30mg with no effect but parents in the US are using up to 100mg. At the time we used liquid capsules but as she was tube fed it was so much hassle as the liquid is so thick and greasy!

I occasionally wonder about restarting it but can't afford to at the moment. I'll bookmark that site for future reference though, thank you.

misi Mon 04-Aug-08 22:33:54

ah, that was my next guess wink grin
I admit I know not a lot about this, but have just found some clinical websites that I have stored so I can read up on later.
the oil based Q10, yuck! in capsules its ok but in the liquid form, its a wonder any ever went down her throat!!

parachutes Tue 05-Aug-08 15:04:10

Misi, thank you very very much for the info. I've found a supplement but I'm waiting to speak to someone before I order etc.

Noonki, thank you for your message. I'm so sorry to hear that you feel it's coming back; I can only imagine how distressing that must be.
Ds has been ill since just before he was 3-following chickenpox. It took just over two years before we got an 'official' diagnosis and that bit was very hard; I think people thought I was a little mad and over-anxious grin
Ds is having a real dip at the moment and I feel so sorry for him. He had been looking forward to going to featherdown farms (for the first time) on a camping trip, with us and his grandparents, but now he doesn't want to go as he feels so tired.

His symptoms seem to be pretty much fatigue, muscle aches and pains, nosebleeds, stomach/digestive problems, noise intolerance, heat intolerance. He's started to complain of bad pains in his chest, the last weeks, after any exercise and that's really scary to be honest, but we try not to show it.
Have you heard of the foggy friends website? It's a great forum for ME sufferers, their families and carers etc.
Sorry my reply was so long!
If you ever want to mail me please do so on mumsnetemail@googlemail.com. I hope you're having a good day.

Thanks to everyone for their help x

parachutes Tue 05-Aug-08 15:05:49

Hi Sidge, just wanted to say that I was sorry to hear about your dd. I do not know much, if anything, about her condition, but I wish you well and we are thinking of you.

Sidge Tue 05-Aug-08 16:04:36

Thanks Parachutes. I'm sorry your DS isn't well. It must be hard for him as his peers will have boundless energy sad

My DD has some similar features - she fatigues easily (is asleep at the moment!) but has improved a lot over the last few years. I hope CoEQ10 helps your son smile

singleWhiteMale Tue 05-Aug-08 22:37:10

Professor of Pharmacology David Colquhoun blogged about Boots' promotion of CoEQ10 a few months ago. He's not impressed:

Boots reaches new level of dishonesty with CoQ10 promotion

misi Tue 05-Aug-08 22:43:12

boots CO Q10 would not be touched with a barge pole by any one in the natural medicine field along with most of its other ''natural health'' supps

singleWhiteMale Tue 05-Aug-08 23:27:39

misi

I'm not much of a fan of Boots myself, but your championing of Springfield Nutraceuticals is a bit misplaced; they're just a marketing firm, and don't 'lead the field' in manufacturing anything.

Colquhoun's criticism is that CoEQ10 doesn't 'give you energy' and shouldn't be advertised in that way (by Boots or anyone else). The Advertising Standards Agency agreed with his complaint and Boots had to withdraw their ad and promise not to do it again..

misi Tue 05-Aug-08 23:42:05

well yes you are right but its my choice of words that are wrong. I would disagree somewhat as I have been to holland on courses but it is semantics at this point. Co Q10 does not give you energy that is correct and no one should say it does, what Co q10 does is enable the body to produce energy if it needs it. ie a fireplace will not produce heat unless you have coal/wood, oxygen and a through draft. if one ingredient is mising you don't get much out of the fireplace. CO q10 is one of these ingredients in cell energy production, it allows the mitrochondria to produce energy by giving it what it needs to combine several other ingredients into the energy forming matrix. boots stuff is also chemically derived and is questionable if it actually works at all, whereas the stuff sopringfield sells is a crystallised form that is highly bio available

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now