Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD2 Always getting ill for no apparent reason. Starting to worry!!

(7 Posts)
MegSophandEmma Sun 03-Aug-08 12:05:53

Last week DD2 (5 yrs) was supposed to be staying in a caravan with DD3's grandparents, she satyed one night but was crying for me so the next night she cme home and that night was very sick. The next coupe of days after she was very lathargic (sp?) and slumped around on the sofa or up in her bed all day. She was also vomitted a fair bit the first night she was home. Yesterday and the day before she seemed to be back to her normal self but still not eating much. Yesterday she went to the lakes for a week with her dad. I have just called him and he has told me she has been sick Is this a strange bug going round?? Has anyone elses child been like this before?? I have told him to try and grab some build up shakes which she likes. Am getting scared its something more sinister

MegSophandEmma Sun 03-Aug-08 12:31:30

Bump

gagarin Sun 03-Aug-08 12:44:56

Have you thought of travel sickness?

Can't think of anything sinister with those symptoms.

Hope she's better soon

MegSophandEmma Sun 03-Aug-08 12:54:03

I don't think its travel sickness as she was only about 2 miles away when she satayed in the caravn. and the vomitting in the lakes started today not when travelling. Its just the constantly getting ill that concerns me. I am worried about her losing weight too she is tiny but then they do look tiny when ill don't they? I am worrying more I think as she isn't here with me.

Pheebe Sun 03-Aug-08 15:08:05

homesick? sounds daft but not unheard of. otherwise sounds like a simple tummy bug, kids pick em up all the time and can take a few days to recover. a second journey and stress of being away from home might have set her off again.

flamingtoaster Sun 03-Aug-08 15:18:00

My DD started having bouts of sickness before she was three. She would go very, very pale, start vomiting and the vomiting would last for hours (sometimes 24 hours). She would then be lethargic for a few days before recovering. On three occasions the vomiting was so bad she was in hospital on a drip for five days each time. We saw three different consultants (due to local hospital having no isolation beds available we were on one occasion taken by ambulance to the next nearest so saw their consultants as well). They all called it "the periodic syndrome" admitting that they didn't know what it was but it was a syndrome and it came periodically. Eventually when she was older I did my own research and found out it was abdominal migraine (which wasn't really known about when my daughter was tiny). We solved the problem by identifying her triggers - low blood sugar, being overtired, eating chocolate or ham after 4.00 pm (though alright at earlier in the day), and certain additives. Once we eliminated all the triggers she was then fine. Although she is now 19 she still will sometimes go pale and wobbly but knows to eat immediately if she does. This may not be your daughter's problem but being out of her normal routine may have resulted in her not eating at her normal times which, in my daughter's case, would have guaranteed an attack. Hope you can find what is doing it - I know how worrying it is!

MegSophandEmma Sun 03-Aug-08 15:43:35

Pheeb do you know that what I was thinking. She was fine until the night she stayed in the caravan and then had DD3's granny up all night calling for me. The next day when she was sick again and she was with me she was sick again just twice but was very lathargic then a day and a bit later brightened up completely until this morning. ExH said she didn't get to sleep until 10:30 but I wasn't aware tiredness could make you vomit.

FT that sounds very interesting re your DD. I have wrote a thread before about DD always getting sick. I will take dd when she gets back. Its the sleepyness thats getting to me also. She litrially slept all day the day she stayed with me despite being sick twice and still slept a fair bit the following day. Gosh this mothering is hardgraft at times!! DD1 and DD3 are both the picture of health the majority of the time but DD2 has been getting ill since she was 4 weeks old its so unfair for her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now