Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do anyone else's kids sometimes just vomit randomly and are then (seemingly) completely fine...?!

(13 Posts)
misspollysdolly Sat 02-Aug-08 20:02:00

DS (3yo) vom'd tonight - quite forcefully and certainly a large amount. Has been absolutely fine all day, eaten fairly normally, etc. Then at teatime started to whinge and grumble, wouldn't eat much tea. Then said his willy was hurting (I did ask if his tummy hurt and he was adamant it did not). Then quite suddenly he threw up and is now completely back to normal again. Anyone else have this. This is the second or third time he's done it in the last 2-3 months.

I struggle with emetophobia (extreme phobia of vomiting) although I am proud of myself for coping tonight <pats self on back>. However, it is about now that I panic that we are all going to get some dreadful bug and that I'm going to be trapped in a house full of vomiting people...AAARRGGHH! Can be entirely normal for kids to randomly vomit? Or is there always something behind it?!

Gobbledigook Sat 02-Aug-08 20:04:42

Yes - Xmas 2006 ds1 got up and looked very green. Didn't open any present for an hour and just sat with his head in a bowl. Threw up. Was honestly fine for the rest of the day as if nothing had happened! It was really weird!

TotalChaos Sat 02-Aug-08 20:05:02

Yes, DS does. He was very pukey as a baby (I suspect undiagnosed reflux), so I see it as the tail end of that.

lilQuidditchKel Sat 02-Aug-08 20:07:22

Yes, both DS and DD have done this. My advice is to find something else to do to take your mind off of it - chances are your DC will be just fine.

bluewolf Sat 02-Aug-08 20:07:32

Completely normal - look out for high temp and drowsiness etc - sounds like he ate too fast or somethinhg....my ds has done this and then bounced back as if nothing happened. Are you having any treatment or therapy for your phobia? With kids its probably up there in terms of A Right Bugger along with fear of random poo, constant snot and disregard for personal hygiene. Kids will either kill or cure all these fears

whatdayisit Sat 02-Aug-08 20:12:19

My Ds1 often has one episode of sickness during the night. I think it happens when he either gets overheated or has a slight temp with a cold or something. Is it poss he has an infection (which could cause a raised temp) if his willy's hurting?

DumbledoresGirl Sat 02-Aug-08 20:12:29

What a coincidence! My ds3 did this today and I am also an emetophobe who also coped pretty well by my standards. He was out playing in the garden with my other children and some friends, went in for a drink, and then complained of a hurting tummy. Unfortunately threw up on carpet in kitchen (weird I know but we have not done our kitchen yet so can't rip it out quite yet). He then sat quietly (at my insistence) for an hour or so and has been fine since, even eating dinner.

I don't think it looks like a bug, just a strange way for his stomach to react to drinking the juice (maybe drinking it too fast??) Anyway, I hope I am right and it is not a bug.

FWIW, ds2 also did this once when he was 3. Ate breakfast, threw it all up and immediately demanded another breakfast which he ate and kept down. Went to playgroup, was fine. Never knew why he threw up that time.

From one emetophobe to another, well done misspollysdolly, for coping!

Troutpout Sat 02-Aug-08 20:23:55

Ds did this ..even occasionally untill he was about 4
He was reflux baby from hell though

Jen1978 Sat 02-Aug-08 20:45:37

My DS1 15 months has just recovered from a bad dose of D and V last weekend which resulted in him being admitted to hosp on monday due to dehyrdation and he was put on a drip. He has been getting better all week and not been sick since wed, then randomly he was sick in the middle of the night last night. Has been fine today (although still won't really eat much - been like this all week). Do you think this was a one off, or still the bug, or lactose intolerance? He has bad reflux and is on medication for it, but isn't normally sick, but I suppose it could have been that. I am just wracking my brains as to why he was sick again, yet ok today. Wish he would get his appetite back though, he looks so pale and is hardly eating anything. PLus we have cut out milk and dairy in case of temporary lactose intolerance, but really don't know if we should still be doing this now or not, or whether we are depriving him of essential nutrients in milk etc.
Feel so fed of this. Feel so responsible for making him well againa nd can't stop worrying about him.
Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread!

corblimeymadam Sat 02-Aug-08 20:47:34

Message withdrawn

misspollysdolly Sat 02-Aug-08 20:53:46

Thanks for your responses guys - and for the encouragement, dumbledore's girl. I hate this phobia - especially not compatible with having little children really!! But, hey, when you love them, you'll go through anything for them - doesn't mean your head
doesn't get a bit fried sometimes though! I had wondered about the infection thing, whatdayisit, as he made a bit of a fuss about having a hurting willy this morning for DH. Have been potty training him for about 10 days now (successfully!) but I put it down to really needing to go and not being used to that sensation. Now I will keep an eye on him and see if it persists. Between first thing this morning and teatime (with the vom thing) though he has peed gone to the loo without any problems...children are weird sometimes aren't they?!

misspollysdolly Sat 02-Aug-08 20:55:00

bb - wine sounds fab! cheers!! (and thanks for the pat on the back - means a lot!)

misi Sat 02-Aug-08 23:42:21

my son did this too, often it is a response to undigested food that the body wants rid of. kids can be like dogs below a certain age. dogs will eat grass to induce vomitting to get rid of the offending matter, then be perfectly normal after. the only time to worry is if there is a high temp, redness of skin or any of the other signs of being unwell. the red sore willy thing may be a sign of a digestive problem that is ongoing. if anti biotics have been used within the last 12 months there may be a yeast over growth that is causing a systemic infection (similar to thrush but body wide) if the wee is usually strong or smelly and the willy is often red at the tip, then at 3 years old, try ''babylife'' by solaray. it is a powder of child, friendly bugs that will restore the friendly fauna in the digestive tract (kids under five have a different set of bugs to older kids and adults so bug drinks if they were any real use would not have the right bugs for under 5's anyway)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now