Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Non-blanching rash - any experience

(17 Posts)
Isabellasmam Fri 01-Aug-08 19:49:36

When my dd was 5mo she developed a non-blanching rash on her lower legs, feet and soles. We took her straight to the local hospital despite being well in herself with no fever. They took bloods and observed her for 8 hours then discharged her with no explanation as to what it was.

Since then she gets some spots in the same places, they develop quickly and then stay for upto a week and then disappear. She has never suffered with them and our gp is happy to leave them unless they cause her to be unwell.

Does anybody else have experience with this type of rash or have any suggestions about what it could be?

Isabellasmam Fri 01-Aug-08 20:01:47

Thanks xxsmile

Isabellasmam Sat 02-Aug-08 10:54:25

bump

RubySlippers Sat 02-Aug-08 10:55:50

DS get this when he is virally/run down

he is v pale so really stands out

Isabellasmam Sat 02-Aug-08 11:04:09

do you get that checked every time or are you happy to leave it when you know what it is?

RubySlippers Sat 02-Aug-08 11:31:20

the first couple of times i went to the docs

now, i know what it is i leave it UNLESS it is accompanied by other severe symptoms

how old is your DD now?

my DS is now 2.2 am much less prone to rashes and viruses TBH

Isabellasmam Sat 02-Aug-08 11:35:50

shes 6mo and seems to get the rash every few weeks but with no other symptoms. as it tends to be on her legs i thought it may be due to using her bouncer and babywalker?

Isabellasmam Sun 03-Aug-08 10:04:05

bump

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:00:35

Sounds like Henoch-Schonlein Purpura

Have a read here

Isabellasmam Mon 04-Aug-08 16:05:24

she had just started weaning, do you think it could be related to a food allergen?

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:07:21

I would doubt it, that wouldn't give you a non-blanching rash, more of a blanching one.

HSP can come and go for weeks, and tends to be triggered by viral infections.

Isabellasmam Mon 04-Aug-08 22:27:13

this sounds really serious, should i be worried although it says it passes with time and there is little that can be done.

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:30:11

It tends to be no worse than just spotty legs although can be worse. The fact that she has been seen and her bloods were done and normal is reassuring. Did she also have a urine test (that's the only extra thing that I can think of that needs doing)?

Isabellasmam Mon 04-Aug-08 22:39:19

no, what could that show?

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:47:37

IF it was HSP, a urine dipstick is usually done to test for any blood. I know that sounds dramatic, but really isn't. HSP is caused by temporary blood vessel inflammation, and that can include the ones in the kidneys, hence showing up on dipstick.

Like I said, IF. I may be barking up entirely the wrong tree. I'm sorry if I've alarmed you, I was trying to be helpful hmm.

Have you asked your GP what they think it is or what the hospital notes says was the diagnosis?

Isabellasmam Tue 05-Aug-08 08:12:43

have been given no diagnosis from hospital or gp, neither seemed to know what it could be but didnt seem concerned. sil in paediatrics and she was not sure (or not telling me) either.

thanks for your help, not too alarmed just a general worrier when it comes to dd. gp told me to have it rechecked when she turns one if it continues but will ask for urine test if she needs further investigation.

thanks again grin

Beeper Tue 05-Aug-08 15:19:21

My son had HSP, we dont know why, he was 7 at the time, he had a non blanching rash all over his legs and buttocks. The rash came and faded to bruises it came and went over a period of weeks. He also got arthritus in his feet a knees (a symptom of HSP) he had various blood tests and had to have urine and bloodpressure checks done for a year. and has to have them done every year from now on. HSP can get really nasty and lead to kidney failure. My son lost lots of wieght and it took a year for him to stop feeling tired all the time.

I would PUSH PUSH PUSH for a diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now