Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Getting my 11 month old to take medicine and not throw it back up!

(22 Posts)
marleyf Fri 01-Aug-08 19:26:21

I've tried capol and medised. I've tried the syringe and a spoon.I've tried disguising it within fuit and his favourite yogurt. He takes it but then throws it back up, often with a whole lot of what he last ate! Have tried giving it to him with a large gap between when he last ate and this doesn't seem to help either!!!
Any ideas?

fledtoscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 19:30:29

is he sick after both calpol and medised (not together of course)?

DS is allergic to the strawberry flavouring in calpol and we get medinol from the GP. He projectile vomits with any strawberry medicine.

AvenaLife Fri 01-Aug-08 19:34:04

Little bits at a time should help, a syringe not a spoon. Put a small blob in his mouth and wait a minute, then another. It's time consuming but should do the trick. Keep him off food and just give him clear fluids if he's vomiting. GP after 24 hours/dry nappy for 12 hours.

Does he have a tummy bug? Any reason for the fever and vomiting?

marleyf Fri 01-Aug-08 19:41:05

he eats strawberry food okay one of his favourite. Ta for the idea tho
Has a cold and cough at the moment and it helps him to settle at night. Tried giving him little bits at a time but just doesn't seem to like it, same result. He's always been a little bit of a sicky baby since birth (usually when trying something new) but not enough to go to the doctors!
Problem is he will sometimes take it okay but mostly not!
Thanks for writing so quickly, first time I've been on

AvenaLife Fri 01-Aug-08 19:43:52

Ahh, he may be OK with strawberry food but the crap they put in childrens medicines to make them taste nice isn't your normal strawberry food. wink

Is he vomiting at any other time other then when you're giving him calpol?

fledtoscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 19:46:03

i know i shouldnt say this as he is only 11mths old, but try the medised alone as it has less additives than calpol.

marleyf Fri 01-Aug-08 19:53:22

nope just when I'm giving him the medicine!
Your right about the crap they put in tho, and it still doesn't taste good hmm
I'm just worried about the medised now, because on the first try he threw it up, wereas with the capol he will sometimes accept it!!

fledtoscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 19:55:05

is he being sick apart from when you give him medicine?

i would see the GP as he may have an intolerance to one of the additives like my son

marleyf Fri 01-Aug-08 19:56:15

ta for the advice

fledtoscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 19:57:06

good luck and hope he is better soon

AvenaLife Fri 01-Aug-08 19:58:31

Ditch the medised and give him calpol if he needs it instead, it's rare for a child to react to this though.

Califrau Fri 01-Aug-08 20:02:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fledtoscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 20:04:19

sorry to disagree avenalife but calpol has more additives than medised. it has loads of flavours and colours which is why GPs prescribe medinol over calpol

littlerach Fri 01-Aug-08 20:04:47

Dd2 has akways vomitted with medised and calpol.

She manages to keep nurofen down though.

MatNanPlus Fri 01-Aug-08 20:05:48

You can get calpol as suppositories in the UK on prescription for babies/children.

Also presciption medised version that has less additives IIRC (was 6 yrs ago mind)

AvenaLife Fri 01-Aug-08 20:08:52

fledtoscotland: (cool name!)I know calpol has more additives but if op's child is vomiting after having medised and not as much with calpol it makes more sense to give him calpol.

"I'm just worried about the medised now, because on the first try he threw it up, wereas with the capol he will sometimes accept it"

fledtoscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 20:11:18

thats why i suggested talking to GP if OP thinks that its the medicine making her son sick. personally from experience i avoided all medicine until we had a medical opinion (including neurofen). calpol is palatable because of the sweeteners and flavours

AvenaLife Fri 01-Aug-08 20:13:42

I would take him to the GP aswell. It would be useful to find out what ingredients are making him vomit as calpol and ibuprofen are a godsend!

fledtoscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 20:15:50

i dont know what the flavour and colour is in calpol that DS is allergic to but he is ok with medinol/medised and neurofen and they are all colourless and either orange or tropical flavour.

(he is only allergic to anything strawberry fwiw)

marleyf Fri 01-Aug-08 20:26:22

dont think he needs suppositories!
Just wondered really if there was any way of making capol or medised more appitising. Babes just isn't too fond of the taste I think as he is not being sick apart from when taking medicine. Do they give neurofen for 11 month olds? (the other 2 still say you can give to babies over 3 months)I know all the advice has changed

AvenaLife Fri 01-Aug-08 20:29:13

They do baby nurofen I think. Calpol also make calprofen, which is ibuprofen. I would ask the pharmacist. boots on brand stuff is good aswell. It may be a trial and error for you though. I would have a chat with the GP though.

marleyf Fri 01-Aug-08 20:30:13

definately will, thanks for you advice all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now