Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Maybe I sound like a rubbish mum, but does anyone else feel terrible due to hair loss, weight gain and stretch marks?

(25 Posts)
jemimah Thu 10-Feb-05 13:39:38

Just wanted to find anyone that feels like I do.

suzywong Thu 10-Feb-05 13:41:33

sorry you are feeling bad

if you are gaining weight and your hair is coming out then these could be signs of thyroid disorder, which is easily remedies, why don't you ask your GP to check your blood for this. It also makes you feel exhausted and really flat

hth

jemimah Thu 10-Feb-05 14:08:46

The weight gain is just what I put on whilst pregnant and can't lose it. But I feel like my hair is coming out in handfuls and and I feel so drained and exhausted all the time, but I suffer with depression too which has the same tiring effect.

morningpaper Thu 10-Feb-05 14:11:47

How grim. I think a lot of new mums feel this way. I remember getting on the scales after I'd had my daughter - after putting on 4 stone, I'd only lost 1 stone! Argh! But the rest (most of it) came off over the next year. Hair fell out like crazy too. And I was always pale, exhausted and leaking milk all over the place. It IS grim and you're not a bad mum for feeling crap about it - after all, you're also still a woman and someone's sexual partner!

Are you getting treated for depression btw?

suzywong Thu 10-Feb-05 14:13:33

seriously, go and get your thyroid functions checked as it is often confused with PND and there is talk of testing all women who present for PND for this condition

wordsmith Thu 10-Feb-05 14:18:07

Jemimah, of course you're not a rubbish mum. You're just normal. I'm the same with weight but my hair has gone mad - it was the same after my first child but I grow an extra layer of 'baby hair' under fringe and it's a bloody pain, won't lie flat and is all fluffy and wispy. (And it's mostly flippin' grey!!!)

Seriously tho Suzywong's suggestion sounds like a good one. Is this your first child? how old is he/she? It's such a shock to the system. Hope you feel better soon.

bubbly Thu 10-Feb-05 14:25:32

Jemimhah huge sympathy your way. My hair thinned out horribly and has gone fuzzy (and grey) I have a left over legacy of 2 stone from 3 pregnancies and a stomach that looks like overstretched Knicker elastic! You are absolutley and definitley not alone

jemimah Thu 10-Feb-05 20:04:07

Thank you everyone for being so nice to me!
I am a very paranoid person by nature, but i know thatthe hair loss isn't being exagerated by my imagination!
My son is 4 months old. I am being treated for depression and my doctor knows to keep an eye on me, so thats good to know. I exercise like mad as I hate looking at myself in the mirror as I am covered in stretch marks and I don't like the blob where my stomach muscles used to be!

lunarx Thu 10-Feb-05 23:03:04

i can relate completely. i sympathise with you.. its hard not to be so hard on ourselves, but sometimes, we have to ease up on ourselves.. its not fair that we are our toughest critic sometimes.
take care=)

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Feb-05 23:09:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

milward Thu 10-Feb-05 23:10:08

I've got loads of stetch marks!! I also have operation scars so they compete nicely with each other! AFter dds lots of hair fell out! Amazed me that so much could. The weight came of with bf & with just never sitting down (can't believe also how much time I relaxed before having kids!). Hope you're feeling ok soon - hows your little one getting on? Four months is a busy but lovely age xxx

milward Thu 10-Feb-05 23:11:59

SallyS - a healthcare professional said the same thing to me about my stretch marks!! plus have lots of grey hair - but that could be age!!

Branster Thu 10-Feb-05 23:16:22

jemimah, hair loss is quite common post pregnancy. it used to scare me but now it's OK. you will get back to 'normal' and it's good you're keeping in touch with your GP. as for weight, you'd probably need to exercise (rather than diet) to feel better about yourself. it takes time i'm afraid. if you could exercise just 10-15 min each day, you'll probably feel more energetic too. or join a post natal exercise class? strech marks will fade (trust me) and they will be less noticeable the more weight you loose too.
however, my advice to you is to concentrate on the little one for the first year and you'll suddenly notice how much your body goes back into shape on its own. the more you obsess over these things, the more of an issue it will remain and you'll end up blowing it out of proportion.
good luck with the treatment for depression.
is there a woman only vitamin supplement you could take with reccomandation from your GP? if you're breastfeeding you might not be allowed to take just anything.

Branster Thu 10-Feb-05 23:18:12

just to add, you say you exercise a lot. what sort of exercises are we talking about here?

irishbird Thu 10-Feb-05 23:21:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

prunegirl Thu 10-Feb-05 23:26:14

Message withdrawn

suzywong Fri 11-Feb-05 01:41:51

prunegirl, I am coming across as bossy and repetitive about thyroid problems only because my life was grinding to a halt with it for three and a half years before being diagnosed with a condition after I had my kids and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

The tingling you describe is a symptom of thyroid problems, and the level of tiredness you describe especially the bit about not supporting mental improvement is ringing alarm bells for me.

Sorry you are feeling so sh*te, but maybe you should go and ask your gp for a thyroid function test.
Sorry to nag you

suzywong Fri 11-Feb-05 01:42:50

hold on, you said "was that just me" . I 'm guessing you are feeling better now and I have nagged you for no reason, sorry

snafu Fri 11-Feb-05 07:07:46

Prunegirl (or suzywong) can I ask about that aching fingers thing? I've had that just recently in my left hand - really quite painful aching for a few minutes in my fingers which then seems to just disappear. Is it a thyroid thing, then? I did think it was a bit strange.

suzywong Fri 11-Feb-05 08:04:01

well I'm not a doctor ( I am a hairy lorry driver from Hull really)
but AFAIK, the tingly fingers is definitely a 'roid thing although it could be something else.

Are you tired all the time too?

snafu Fri 11-Feb-05 08:14:26

Well, I could fall asleep standing up most days but then again I am looking after a non-sleeping toddler and an ill parent, so perhaps that's not really surprising

Thyroid problems have been suggested to me in the past (by doctor) but I've never been tested. Maybe it's about time I was!

suzywong Fri 11-Feb-05 08:18:11

go on do it, there's a big MN thyroid clique, you could join !

and treatment is so simple, just a tablet in the morning to replace or reduce what your thyroid is or isn't making

snafu Fri 11-Feb-05 08:23:08

Oooh, how exciting! At last, an MN clique I can call my own

prunegirl Fri 11-Feb-05 08:40:15

Message withdrawn

jemimah Fri 11-Feb-05 10:23:17

I don't know anyone with babies around here well enough to meet up/chat with. On the phone I get quite a lot of support from my mum as my little brothers only 2 so most stuff is still fresh in her head.
It has made me feel so much better about the hair loss thing now I know I am definately not alone. I do a fitness video to try to get my figure back. I mainly work on the abdominals exercises though.
When you keep losing hair do you get bald patches?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now