Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Preschool booster and MMR singles for a 3yr old..Advice please

(7 Posts)
shhhh Fri 01-Aug-08 10:11:31

DD is due these in Nov so im trying to do groundwork now...

She has had all vaccinations at the gp's apart from the MMR which was done privatly in single doses.
Im not to hot on the background blush as dh did all the research yet we both agreed iykwim...but think mostly due to loading immune system..

Now dd is 3 (will will 3.6 come the time..) are we advised to do singles again or opt for the 3in1..? Just because she is older and a bit stronger iykwim...or should we do singles again..?

At the pre school vaccinations is it boosters of dip, men c and the MMR in one sitting..?

Slightly confussed blush sad.

Advice appreciate.smile TIA

shhhh Fri 01-Aug-08 18:19:20

there must be someone around to give me some info/advice..hmm...

hopelesshousewife Fri 01-Aug-08 18:55:14

I'm in same position here, DS had both initial and booters as singles, and DD has has first ones as singles, and am just wondering what to do.

Am thinking may as well go down singles - no reason not to in particular, I'm not too sure of the current thinking though, was it jimjams who was the expert??

vannah Sat 02-Aug-08 08:36:22

hi my boy had singles too, the hospital was fantastic. They did say that when he was due to have boosters, that I should merely come in for a blood test to see whether or not he really needed boosters: apparently in about 90% of cases the child will still have enough in their system and dont need the booster.
Call your hospital or clinic where you had the singles done and ask about this blood test bfore you embark on the singles again

berolina Sat 02-Aug-08 09:06:30

AFAIK the MMR booster isn't a booster in the true sense, but is given to achieve maximum protection rate, i.e. catch those for whom it doesn't work first time. Particularly the mumps component can work poorly in MMR. If you have done singles I would assume protection tbh and not bother with 'boosters'. ds1 had MMR but we decided against he 'booster' andhad his immunity checked, which was fine for measles and rubella, not so good for mumps but we will repeat that (singly) when he is a little older. HTH.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 02-Aug-08 18:48:04

The clinic we used also recommended the blood test before having the "boosters". Not yet had DS's done as they are not really true boosters as Berolina says, more to catch those whose jabs didnt work properly the first time.

shhhh Sat 02-Aug-08 19:23:08

Hmmmm....fantastic advice there..Thanks smile.

I never thought about boosters being a top uo iykwim and the fact that a blood test would answer if they were needed..Just assumed you had them...Make sense though.

Right will call immunisation place on monday. Thanks again, muchly appreciated grin.
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now