Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Any dentists - advice please?

(8 Posts)
Megali Thu 10-Feb-05 12:01:13

I took my dd aged 7 to the dentist yesterday and was told that 2 of her back teeth may need fillings the next time we visit. She has already got 1 filling in her baby teeth.

My older dd has "perfect teeth". They both eat the same things, same amount of sweets etc. Only difference is that my older dd got fluoride drops when she was a baby and now has slight mottling on her front teeth. By the time I had my 2nd dd, health visitor advice had changed and she didn't get fluoride drops.

We live in an area that doesn't have fluoride in the water. Is there anything I can do to improve my younger dds teeth? Should I give fluroide drops? I have seen a fluoride mouthwash in the shops - would it help? Or is it just down to better brushing? Why are some people more prone to decay than others?

Any advice gratefully received!

Megali Thu 10-Feb-05 12:39:44

bump

Megali Thu 10-Feb-05 13:35:45

Anyone????

SoupDragon Thu 10-Feb-05 16:03:26

Some people are just more prone to decay - the enamel can be stronger on other people's teeth or there can be deeper fissures in the teeth which trap food and make it difficult to clean them.

Megali Thu 10-Feb-05 16:29:46

Soupdragon - thanks for this. Reasurring. I can't help feeling it's my fault. Doesn't help that every tooth in my head has a filling while my dh has none!!

SoupDragon Thu 10-Feb-05 16:42:56

don't blame yourself - blame whichever parent you inherited your teeth gene from

Ameriscot2005 Thu 10-Feb-05 16:44:56

My two boys have been brought up in the same environments, eaten much the same food, and have similar dental hygiene.

One has perfect teeth at age 13; my 11 year old has to have fillings at every appointment (although some are replacement fillings...). Fortunately, his permanent teeth are all fine.

Megali Thu 10-Feb-05 16:50:38

Glad it's not just my two dds then!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: