Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Water blisters recurring on face, any ideas?

(11 Posts)
Flightputsonahat Fri 01-Aug-08 06:43:12

A few weeks ago we went to a crappy festival thing with ds, who had his face painted and then the next few days his little cheeks were bright red, and he started to get little water blisters - only a couple - so I immediately thought 'impetigo!' and raced him to the Drs who said, actually no, it looks like an allergic reaction to the face paint.
So he was prescribed piriton and they just burst and went away in a day or two (never had to give piriton).

This morning he is again very red but not so much. He has another little water blister. I can't think where they are coming from. The only similarity I can guess at is that each time he had been running about in the sun, but it isn't sunburn, it's patchy. Also no other bit of him is red at all.

Can anyone shed any light please? I wonder if he is allergic to something he's eating maybe?

Thanks smile

Flightputsonahat Fri 01-Aug-08 11:08:49

bump in case any one knows the answer smile

goingslowlymad Fri 01-Aug-08 11:14:38

Sorry not ever heard of anything similar. Do they bother him?

Flightputsonahat Fri 01-Aug-08 11:21:35

No...just look a bit unsightly! Dr said the other time they didn't look infected though to not touch in case they got 'superinfected' iyswim and turned into something worse.

He is very pink.

Might try Dr again or food diary.?

HereComeTheGirls Fri 01-Aug-08 11:24:02

I can't help but strangely my DD is going through almost exactly the same thing at the moment, very red cheeks, although no blisters..she has eczema but hasn't had it on her face for a long time and it doesn't feel dry like eczema...

HereComeTheGirls Fri 01-Aug-08 11:24:41

We had thought it might be slapped cheek, but your GP would have spotted that, I'm sure.

HereComeTheGirls Fri 01-Aug-08 11:32:42

Our only conclusion at the moment is that it's because she is drooling a LOT due to teething, and is lying on it at night and its irritating her sensitive skin. This probably won't apply to your son though and I'm not sure it would cause blisters!!

belgo Fri 01-Aug-08 11:35:50

A few ideas:

A reaction to sunlight/heat maybe - like a heat rash? Do you use a different suncream on his face? Possibly an insect bite?

Flightputsonahat Fri 01-Aug-08 11:43:35

I wonder...yes it could be the heat I suppose but he's five and never had it until this summer.
Not really used suncream on his face except about a week ago which would be a delayed reaction wouldn't it?

Very much a water blister and not like any insect bite I've seen...very mysterious grin

HCTG I hope your daughter recovers soon too!

belgo Fri 01-Aug-08 12:14:36

Does he sleep on his front? May be it's caused by saliva and sweat.

My dd2 couldn't sleep last night because she sleeps on her front and got too sweaty due to the heat.

Flightputsonahat Fri 01-Aug-08 12:53:51

That is a thought. He does get very sweaty at night recently. Combine that with a dummy or bottle (yes I know, but he won't stop!) and it could easily be that.

Thanks Belgo, you are very sharp!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now