Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

infected finger joint

(6 Posts)
stitch Thu 31-Jul-08 23:05:43

its painful. been hot, inglamed, and now hard as well for almost two weeks. i initially thought it might be cellulitis, but it didnt spread.
feel silly going to the doctors about it. any ideas?

PenelopePitstops Thu 31-Jul-08 23:08:20

go to the docs

stitch Thu 31-Jul-08 23:13:15

wont i get, 'time waster ' looks?

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 23:15:38

go to doctor's, fingers are often v slow to heal and can turn nasty without you realising. have you broken the skin? if not it could be something inflammatory inside the joint.

dh was given 3 (yes 3) courses of ABs for his finger (and took them, the fool, despite my protests) and it turned out to be mallet finger, which miraculously healed itself. he was v lucky...

stitch Thu 31-Jul-08 23:19:39

shock what is a mallet finger?
it is the joint that is next to the palm of th emiddle finger on the left hand. earlier today i used the hand brake in the car without being careful, and the pain nearly killed me. but right now sitting and typing, i can barely feel the pain.

bundle Fri 01-Aug-08 07:33:54

it's where one of the ligaments in the finger goes ping - and the end joint looks a bit like ¬

normally you have to splint it for ages for it to have any chance of mending

dh heard his go ping when he put a pair of socks on one morning

hands v complicated, see if you can get a referral

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now