Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's wrong with dd's toe? Worried and going on holiday tomorrow. Arghhhhhhh.

(5 Posts)

She's been picking at her toenail and I thought had just made it sore by pulling too much off. But now the edge of her toe has swollen up and gone white, she's limping and crying that it hurts lots.

I'm guessing its some sort of infection, dh reckons it looks like a boil. hmm

Will it most likely need antibiotics. Talk about timing!

gigglewitch Thu 31-Jul-08 23:01:36

youch. certainly sounds infected. will she let you near enough to check that it isn't 'just' a blister, which could also appear white - but i suppose depends where on her toe it is hmm

Its not a blister. I don't know how many times I've told her about picking at her toenails.

gigglewitch Thu 31-Jul-08 23:08:51

oooh shite. t'isn't looking good then. Antibiotics and a pair of boxing gloves for her then? wink

jenkel Thu 31-Jul-08 23:17:06

Sounds like she may need antibiotics, I have had lots of experience with this thanks to my nail picker daughter, she done it one and we bathed it, cleaned it and done everything that we could apart from antiobiotics and it didnt heal until we went to the GP and had some.

It got so bad once that I actually took her to A & E, admittedly not the best use of A & E but it scared her so much that she hasnt done it for a long time, and I guess the cost of the A & E visit was justifed ad we havent needed any more antibiotics.

One thing the A&E doctor told me to do do is to use the rounding tip or a paperclip and go under her nail to try to train the nail to grow outwards as once you have an ripped your nail and it grows inwards you are more prone to it in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now