Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

nurses and shamen - come,come diagnose

(25 Posts)
Tortington Thu 31-Jul-08 22:50:50

I have v. sore poorly foot

it is muchly swollen - pain on the top and it affect top of foot and ankle and becinning of leg.

have been to docs on tuesday - but has been going on since saturday.

nurse said it was prolly an infection and gave antibiotics - i have a follow up appt tomorrow

it has starting itching last night

and feels warm - like when you put that heat stuff from a can on something kwim?

the skin tight and red.

am ded worried - have took this week off work as the nurse said to keep it above hip height - pretty hard todo in anoffice if your not a gymnast - although the office manager wouldnt be arsed, the ergonomics of reaching a keyboard is a tad weird!

so, what the fuck is it?

Tortington Thu 31-Jul-08 22:51:57

can't walk v. far on it ad is painful - forgot that bit

any hint for googling appreciated!

LaDiDaDi Thu 31-Jul-08 22:53:21

It does sound like a cellulitis.

Did you have an insect bite to start it off?

Did the nurse prescribe flucloxacillin 1 gram four times/day? You may need IV Abs if it isn't getttng better after 48 hours on orals.

Tortington Thu 31-Jul-08 22:54:59

yes re the medicine - what does the rest mean. speak like i am a bit thick - cos i iz grin

cellulitis- whats that?

DontNeedAnything Thu 31-Jul-08 22:56:09

I woudl say 1 of 2 things come to mind. Prob loads of others are possible

1. DVT, which I was cecked for when I had your symptoms

2. cellulitis (whichis a bacterial infection treated by the ABs). This is what I actually had. In addition to all your sympoms it just seemed to feel like it was physically burning (like sunburn I guess) - especially when I was ina hot environment (e.g. getting in acr that has been sitting in a car in this weather.

DontNeedAnything Thu 31-Jul-08 22:56:49

Cellulitis is a skin infection.

mylovelymonster Thu 31-Jul-08 22:56:59

an insect bite? Lots of people have interesting swellings at this time of year - many ankle area bites, which can cause amazing swelling and take a couple of weeks to resolve.

What did doc say? Have you tried taking an antihistamine? (get docs'/ pharmacists'advice first)

wrinklytum Thu 31-Jul-08 22:57:00

Hmm sounds a bit like cellulitis.

I had it after getting a small sore patch from new DM'S (was a stoodent at hte time:O)that then got infected.Was very painful.Cleared up after a course of abs.

HTH.and you are feeling better soon

Sidge Thu 31-Jul-08 22:57:50

Sounds like Cellulitis

Draw round the redness with a marker pen - if it is spreading up your leg/foot then the infection is spreading and you need to go back.

Take painkillers regularly as well.

Tortington Thu 31-Jul-08 23:00:19

the nurse has drawn on my foot grin

have googled, thanks - i think you are right

if the abs arnt doing the trik whats next?

thumbwitch Thu 31-Jul-08 23:02:34

amputation! grin
is there an insect bite centre to it? If so, then antihistamines; if not, then as the rest say it sounds like cellulitis - try keeping it elevated to keep the swelling down and go back to doc's if the redness spreads

DontNeedAnything Thu 31-Jul-08 23:03:09

It is quite nasty BTW and needs to be treated. If it is still not going away I would get another GP appointment for tomororw personally.

Blandmum Thu 31-Jul-08 23:03:38

Sounds like celluliitis. I had this after an insect bit.

If it is spreading you need to get medical attention

also take piriton for the itching

LaDiDaDi Thu 31-Jul-08 23:03:59

IV Abs, usually both IV flucloxacillin and benzylpenicillin together but sometimes instead of that combo Co-Amoxiclav and/or Cefotaxime is used.

Usually 48hours of IVs are nough to get things significantly better than you would complete a course of oral Abs.

Hope you get better soon.

DontNeedAnything Thu 31-Jul-08 23:04:57

As LadIdI says if the oral ABs are not working it wil probably be chane the ABs or IV. And I have just re-read your OP and realised you have an appointment tomorrow anyway.

LaDiDaDi Thu 31-Jul-08 23:05:06

Sorry, should say then not than.

Agree, get it looked at again tomorrow, you don't want to spend Sat sitting in A+E because it's worse.

ScummyMummy Thu 31-Jul-08 23:06:15

oh man.
gout?

ScummyMummy Thu 31-Jul-08 23:08:29

Jooooooooooke! Are your babies being superstar helpful?

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 23:09:40

my legs are bitten to death and have been hideously swollen and bruised this week so huge sympathies custy

Tortington Thu 31-Jul-08 23:13:13

thanks everyone - i didn't expect much of a response as its trez boring - so thanks a million.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 31-Jul-08 23:22:08

I had septicaemia last year.
I got a tiny scratch on my finger from a rusty tent pole. It was red, itching, worm, skin felt tight, a bit swollen. By the next morning it hurt like hell, and I had tracking going right up past my elbow.

I went to a&e, explained to the doc, and showed him my finger and my arm. And he went. oh. OH..... OH! Sit still, let me get my surgical colleague to come out too....

I got two different ABs IV simultaneously. I was sitting in a&e till 2am.
I felt so bloody ill. Shadow of self. Next day was a sunday, and by power of vermin, I was manning the schools REPTILE TENT! I continued on two different ABs. On monday a nurse called me and said that the test results were in, and they had found a very rare paracite in the pinprick wound, and I would have to come in and get different antibiotics that would for sure help.

So, Custy, get this seen to. And if you do see a faint red line from the wound, get your bottom down to a&e.

noddyholder Fri 01-Aug-08 09:07:16

Soak in strong tea tree solution I had an infected bite once and it was soooooooo painful but tea tree sorted it out.Hope it gets better xx

Tortington Fri 01-Aug-08 11:00:23

thanks noddyxx

wow QS - thanks - been to nurse this morning - myfoor has massivley improved by last night - its gets worse at night and teres only so much itting around on mumsnet i can do without feeling guilt. - so nurse sent me away - it does feel better this am.

cheeeers

TheHedgeWitch Fri 01-Aug-08 11:05:01

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Fri 01-Aug-08 11:09:45

custy has the nurse said what it is? waht abs are you on

smoking wont be helping the healing wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now