Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else gone on the pill to control hormonal migraines? Any success?

(6 Posts)
beakysmum Thu 31-Jul-08 21:37:42

That's it really!
Have only had migraines since I had my first child. The pill seems to take the edge of them, but doesn't eliminate them. Be interested in the experience of others......

emma1977 Thu 31-Jul-08 21:39:52

Which pill?

oi Thu 31-Jul-08 21:42:43

yes, I've started taking Yasmin. I take it constantly at the moment with no break and have not had a migraine since I started taking it. Marvellous.

I too had never had a migraine until I had my second child.

Had to get a gynae to prescribe it as the doctors didn't want to know.

beakysmum Fri 01-Aug-08 00:28:49

My pill is Microgynon.

I'm taking several packs in a row as well, but I still get mild migraines at randon times, maybe when my own hormones peak?

I also get a mild migraine when I take a break in taking the pill for a few days. Maybe I should ask for Yasmin. How did you get referred to a gynae, oi?

beakysmum Fri 01-Aug-08 16:00:37

WHy do I still get migraines, even when I am taking the pill continuously?

oi Fri 01-Aug-08 19:08:05

yes, if I took a break, I'd get a migraine and in fact, this week, i had a bad headache which I think could have been classed a migraine had it gone one notch up.

I don't know...maybe yours aren't only hormonal migraines? have you done a food diary?

I have noticed I'm v sensitive to not eating. If I have a long period without food, I can almost guarantee a migraine. That and eating brie and camembert (grr my favourite).

I insisted on a referral and in the end, paid for myself and self referred (and was then told I could get an NHS referral).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now