Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fenton's Procedure

(23 Posts)
Janbo25 Thu 31-Jul-08 20:04:30

I am due to go in hosiptal on Monday for a Fenton's Procedure which is to repair some scar tissue following on from labour. I have opted to have it done under local anaesthetic rather than general which a lot of people think i'm mad for.

I am sure there are lots of you out there who have had this done or know someone who as. What are your views and or experiences so I can try and put my mind at rest.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 31-Jul-08 20:07:55

KNow nothing about the procedure but would always choose local over general so I don't think you're mad. Good luck!

Janbo25 Thu 31-Jul-08 20:52:49

bump anyone?

Janbo25 Fri 01-Aug-08 16:58:31

bump anyone?

Janbo25 Fri 01-Aug-08 20:25:57

??

Janbo25 Fri 01-Aug-08 20:59:37

looks like i'm alone then??

girlnextdoor Fri 01-Aug-08 21:04:28

just to say hope you get on okay and maybe someone else can help before then- what exactly is it? someone might have had it done but not know the real name for it!

Janbo25 Fri 01-Aug-08 21:19:38

Due in hospital Monday!!! hoping someone can share there experiences with me, thanks for the support x

RiojaLover75 Fri 01-Aug-08 21:26:02

Hi! I had this done six months after my first birth. Had a GA. Woke up in SOOOO much pain. Had very good drugs though.

The op was fab, everything was put back to as good as new. Had a fab consultant at RSCH.

RiojaLover75 Fri 01-Aug-08 21:26:53

Mine was called a Laser Fentons BTW.

biggreypants Fri 01-Aug-08 22:16:01

No experience just bumping for you and wishing you luck grin

Janbo25 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:39:13

thanks rioja for your input getting nervous now as i go in tomorrow!!how long did it take you to recover and does anyone else have any experience??

pooka Sun 03-Aug-08 09:44:51

I saw your OP and debated whether to respond.....

I had this done when dd was 7 months and was (wrongly) told that I couldn't have the GA and still breastfeed afterwards.

So I had the local anaesthetic. If I could go back, I would have a general, because I found that the local anaesthetic was pretty bad. And the circs (i.e. in op theatre with stirrups) was rather distressing.

However, if you do a search for posts by a poster called Awen, this year, there is a thread. I think she found it to be not as bad as me. And there is a positive outcome in that the procedure was a complete success for me.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=1365&threadid=504124#10202227

Janbo25 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:58:27

Thanks pooka for the post, it was my decision for a LA due to bad experience with GA in the past. How long did the procedure take?? and not sure whether affected you but how long did you need off work?
How bad or painful was it having the LA in the area???

pooka Sun 03-Aug-08 19:08:55

Ah well - see I'd never had a GA, so I suppose I could just as easily have had a dodgy reaction.

Think it lasted about 45mins max. Can't really remember though. Was in the unit at about 10am, and dh picked me up at 4pm. Fasted because everyone had to, which was fair enough.

I didn't have time off because was SAHM. My DH was told he couldn't have time off to look after me (another story!) and my mother ended up having dd during the day for the 2 days after. And then was the weekend, so by about day 5 afterwards I was pretty fine really - in terms of healing and generally painwise, was oodles better than after I had dd (but then that time the stitches were pulling all the time, obviously had been a bit of a cock-up). Whereas I got an infection after dd, the restitch healed beautifully. Was done in completely sterile surroundings. Though I think I did have my period when it was done, I just used pads afterwards.

The actual injections were nasty (for me). I think I wasn't expecting that, and so was unprepared for how sore it would be. Had lots of them, with varying degrees of success. To be honest, I think part of the reason I got wound up was being in the op theatre, and the stirrups, and just found it hard. I am sure that you will be fine fine fine though. And I am so glad I had it done, because was simply impossible to have sex without, and I now have ds! wink INcidentally, I tore only slightly with him, stitches afterwards were fine and history didn't repeat itself.

Maenad Sun 03-Aug-08 19:21:49

Hi Janbo - I had it when my DD was 9 months old. I was breastfeeding so didn't want a GA, and had a spinal anaesthetic instead. Is that what you're having? The anaesthetist said she couldn't understand why it was such an unpopular choice as she thought it was much less unpleasant than having a GA.

The spinal was very good, though they bruised me quite badly trying to get it into my back (they let the student have several goes before the consultant finally took over). It was all fine and not at all traumatic. In fact in theatre I was a bit frustrated by the efforts to keep me talking about other stuff to distract me, when I was actually interested in what was going on down there.

The anaesthetic wore off in time to let me get home to feed my daughter that night. It was quite painful for a few days afterwards so I was grateful that my DH had taken that week off work to help with DD. Walking was a bit difficult etc. But as far as I remember it was much better by about 5 days afterwards. And absolutely worth doing... DC2 on the way thanks to the operation!

Good luck tomorrow.

babalon Sun 03-Aug-08 21:53:02

You could ask for sedation. Midazolam works to relax and also stops you remembering afterwards.

Good Luck

Janbo25 Mon 04-Aug-08 09:18:55

well I go in at 11.30 this morning!!! as far as I'm aware just having normal local anaesthetic which is what i'm dreading the most!!! any more advise or stories would be greatly appreciated whilst i'm still here!

Janbo25 Mon 04-Aug-08 09:29:56

any last minute advise??

Janbo25 Mon 04-Aug-08 10:25:20

setting off in 30 mins x x x x x

wishingchair Mon 04-Aug-08 11:18:38

Hope it goes well Janbo. I had one when DD1 was 10 months. I had a GA though, wasn't offered anything else and didn't think to ask, but I do hate GAs. I had laser and also an incision and stitching. It does hurt ... just like the healing post-birth but without the bruising and the feeling like you've been hit by a bus. I started my period the next day so that really did add to the post-birth experience!! But once it's all healed, you'll REALLY appreciate having had it done wink

wishingchair Mon 04-Aug-08 11:22:29

Just to add, I also only tore very slightly with DD2 and didn't need any stitches. Was up and about so much quicker the second time round.

The midwife saw I'd had a Fenton's and talked me through a very slow and controlled delivery and she supported my perineum when I pushed DD2 out. Basically 2nd time round I actually listened to the midwife whereas 1st time I was just so desperate for it to be over, I ignored her and pushed her out in one big go. Not the most sensible thing I ever did.

pooka Mon 04-Aug-08 15:49:37

Janbo, I hope that the op went well and that you were comfortable. Take it easy, and perhaps try arnica to help you heal. Is definitely worth treating your fanjo as delicately and gently as you did post-delivery - baths with small amount of lavender oil mixed with milk were recommended to me.

Rest and recuperate well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now