Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ds and his Asthma :-( poorly again.

(10 Posts)
alibobins Thu 31-Jul-08 20:00:50

Thats it really spent last night in hospitalsad Ds woke up wheezy and got worse throughout the day despite regular ventolinsad

Ended up ap A&E then admitted to a ward spent the night on regular nebs and came home about an hour ago with steriods and a 3 day care plan.

I've had enoughsad

Bridie3 Thu 31-Jul-08 20:16:49

Do you think it could be hayfever-related? my son got better when we left the south (very arable area) for the north of Scotland (mainly cattle and sheep) for a holiday last week.

I'm feeding him oily fish as often as I can as this sometimes seems to help.

barnsleybelle Thu 31-Jul-08 20:18:21

Oh dear. I'm new to the boards but have a 6 yr old chronic asthmatic ds so totally get it.

After multiple hospital admissions my gp started to prescribe me a 3 day oral steroid dose for emergencies only. Now, when 6 puffs of regular ventolin (when wheezy ) doesn't work i give the prednisolone. I only ever start the 3 day dose when ds is at a point where i would take him to A&E. Since i was given this he has never been admitted since. He is very well controlled normally on his regualr becotide, and usually the ventolin is enough to get us thro the bad days. However, it's so much more reassuring having the steroids there. I ring my gp if i've had to use them and take him up for a visit.

Hope your ds feels better soon and hope you get him sorted out. Asthma is a horrible condition.

chapstickchick Thu 31-Jul-08 20:20:51

ive had this with my eldest ds we spent mny nights in hospital with a nebuliser - my son grew out of it and its managed v well with limited use of inhalers.

it really tires you out physically and emotionally and you feel v helpless and out of control its a horrid rotten time you have my total sympathy- hope he soon feels better- and the steroids dont send him to wild.

alibobins Thu 31-Jul-08 20:24:19

Thanks.
He is okay on the steroids he's had them so many timessad
We have got steriods at home but he was really struggling and starting to panicsad

pedilia Thu 31-Jul-08 20:32:10

Your poor DSsad

I have awful asthma so I know how terrifying it can be

chapstickchick Thu 31-Jul-08 20:34:03

ali,its awful isnt it ? ,my ds used to start coughing then within minutes hed be wheezing heavily it almost got to the point that as soon as he coughed my heart would sink knowing what was to come at the time my mil was v ill and we were travelling from norfolk to mncs 3-4 times a week and i wouldnt have windows down on motorways or near country cos it seemed any sort of farming or exhaust fumes would set him off.

i used to keep a spare pair of pjs and underwear for me in the boot of the car bcos i never knew when it would start and how uickly he would go down sad- there truly is hope tho my ds is so much better and v keen spotsman(i do still carry inhalers all the time - old habbits lol)

chapstickchick Thu 31-Jul-08 20:35:08

obviously not a spotsman i meant sportsman lol

alibobins Thu 31-Jul-08 20:52:17

Its good to hear positive stories thankyousmile
Ds seems to copes so well with all the stays in hospitalsad all the nurses know him well even in a&e they remember him.

Bridie3 Fri 01-Aug-08 14:33:29

My children are both keen on spot, too. Both good runners if the asthma is under control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now