Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

vomiting for a week

(3 Posts)
Nellmum Thu 31-Jul-08 19:24:13

my ds has been vomiting for a week and although he keeps enough down to avoid dehydration i am wondering how long this can go on for without him becoming totally malnourished as he is only holding down about 15oz a day and thats on a good day. he is tiny. Been to docs twice and they say don't worry about anything but dehydration, but obviously I am worried. anyone any ideas on how long to allow this to carry on and what to do, have to admit i am finding this pretty tough, worse than most of the other tough times i have encountered so far in my six months of motherhood!

LittleMissTickles Thu 31-Jul-08 19:38:03

Nellmum, didn't want you to go unanswered. Vomit is the absolute worst isn't it? Unfortunately there really is nothing the dr's do or prescribe for vomiting, unless they reach dehydration, when lo would require IV fluids in hospital.

All you can do is keep a close eye on him, and try to get as much fluids in as you can. Even if he sucks on an ice-cube/ ice lolly, anything helps.

If you pinch skin on back of his hand, skin should return to normal immediately (check your own for comparison), if it stays up, or is slow to return, that can be sign of dehydration. Hang in there, it WILL pass. And don't worry about seeming like neurotic first time mum, take him back to GP as often as you want, even just for him to check.

Hope your DP is helping and that you are managing some sleep!

Nellmum Thu 31-Jul-08 19:59:06

thanks littlemissT, will keep ploughing on. dp going away tomorrow which is not perfect timing but you never know we may wake up in the morning with ds back to his beaming hungry non vomity self....i doubt it. i just hope he isn't starving or has got some terrible illness. this motherhood lark never ceases too surprise you with how hard it can be does it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now