Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oh this is silly and helplessly pathetic but please help

(14 Posts)
objectivity Thu 31-Jul-08 19:00:37

Have had a cold which has gone to chest ove rlast few days. I have been having a coughing fit for over half an hour now and keep vomiting but the whatever it is in my chest isn't budging when I cough and I'm getting a sore throat and ribs now and panicking a little.

What can I do?

I can hardly type for coughing and retching.

Help,please!

theSuburbanDryad Thu 31-Jul-08 19:01:37

Oh bless you - that sounds horrible!

Have you seen your gp?

TheFallenMadonna Thu 31-Jul-08 19:02:33

Honey is good for coughs I think. And yes, see your GP tomorrow. I had something like this in Feb and developed pneumonia.

objectivity Thu 31-Jul-08 19:04:26

No, not yet.I don't have a fever so I figured it jutst has to run its course.

I don't like being sick and now my head is aching with the pressure.

DC are hmm at me - I get about 10 secs break between coughs

objectivity Thu 31-Jul-08 19:29:06

Thanks

Just had somne Kovonia medicine stuff I found in back of cupboard - is working a little

piratecat Thu 31-Jul-08 19:32:18

allergy?

asthma?

poor you, i have had your cough, many times, esp in my early 20's.

i was prescribed an inhaler once, which helped.

it's bloody horrible, its like cough cough cough, head expansion, tight chest, retch. Had a terible exp after eating some asparagas soup once.(hope that bit made you grin more than cry)

Have you had this before?

suedonim Thu 31-Jul-08 20:38:51

I haven't reached vom-point yet but I have the same cough, I think. sad And I'm taking Covonia for it. I put it in a little hot water (tastes so bad that it must do me some good grin) and the heat seems to help bring up some of the gunk - sorry if TMI!

lazaroulovesleggings Thu 31-Jul-08 20:43:40

Run the hot water in the bathroom so it's really steamy and stand in there for about half an hour, or fill a bowl with boiled water and stick your head over it with a towel over your head. Should loosen it.

ThingOne Thu 31-Jul-08 22:18:35

You poor thing. I have suffered a lot from terrible retching coughs lately. I have mild asthma and mild allergies but I'm unwell at the moment meaning what would have been ordinary coughs and colds get out of control.

And, as said above, steam! I would make an appointment to see your GP.

And a bit more steam.

I've had to have anti-bs as I'm so ill but I've had a lot of success with changing both my allergy and my asthma medication (still not very strong). The other thing I've done is treat myself as if I have a dust allergy (which my DH has), ie very clean hard floors, scrupulously clean bedding washed at 60 degrees, washing curtains, washing hair and so on.

While you are at it, I'd try steam.

Evenstar Fri 01-Aug-08 00:23:19

Try some Manuka honey, it's nice and better than cough medicine.

LuLuMacGloo Fri 01-Aug-08 00:28:58

It's a bit anti-social but if you have any garlic in the house try eating some of it raw - it's brilliant for colds/chesty things. You could chop it up and have it on a bit of toast. Hope you feel better soon.

RuffleTheAnimal Fri 01-Aug-08 00:32:15

when i have a cough that just never seems to touch the tickle (iyswim) as you describe, i find that moving myself so that i am basically on all fours, or at least laying face down to do the actual coughing. somehow this position seems to make the cough itself more effective in shifting whatever its trying to shift. feels much better to me anyway.

objectivity Fri 01-Aug-08 10:04:26

Oh thank you for your kind suggestions.

I ran a bath last night and the steam helped along with a re-dose of the Covonia which is marvellous stuff (I'm normally anti cough medicine).

Sorry to hear you are all suffering too

I have a GP appointment this morning.

TheHedgeWitch Fri 01-Aug-08 11:02:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now