Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hayfever

(6 Posts)
AuntyJ Thu 31-Jul-08 18:35:44

My DD nearly 4 has developed hayfever for the 1st time this summer. Its very mild but the itchy eyes is driving her mad. Can anyone recommend a relief that wont cause drowsiness? Thanks

choufleur Thu 31-Jul-08 19:28:11

was her hair before bed so that any pollen in her hair doesn't go into her eyes/nose at night. tryt to keep windows closed, particularly at dawn and dusk, get her to wear sunglasses (if she will) when out. you could try giving her a teaspoon of LOCAL honey every day. it's meant to help build up immunity to local pollens, so you need to get one from a very local producer.

hope that helps - hayfever can be horrid

stitch Thu 31-Jul-08 19:29:04

eye drops plus what choufleur said

choufleur Thu 31-Jul-08 19:38:47

i'd also go for piriton at night just so that she gets some relief from teh itching

Dottoressa Thu 31-Jul-08 19:46:33

Benadryl works for my DS and doesn't cause drowsiness (it's available free on prescription). I give him one 5ml spoonful of Benadryl in the morning, and one 5ml spoonful of Piriton at night in the hope of it having a soporific effect (in fact, it doesn't make him sleep, more's the pity!!)

We also have Opticrom eyedrops for his seriously itchy eyes; it doesn't work 100 percent, but it's certainly better than nothing.

Good luck!

AuntyJ Thu 31-Jul-08 20:07:15

thanks all for your advice.
Choufleur there will be no problems with the sunglasses she is such a fashionista!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now