Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Small boys and copious nosebleeds - anyone got any views/experience?

(7 Posts)
Anchovy Thu 31-Jul-08 12:36:39

Ds is 6 and this morning had the most enormous nosebleed. Prone though I am to exaggeration generally, this genuinely was horrific - blood flowing freely everywhere and quite long lasting. The bathroom looked like a crime scene afterwards, Ds looked like a slaughtered pig, I looked like Jackie Kennedy after Dallas, DD (4) had blood all over her feet after dancing round in it on the bathroom floor (wafting one sheet of toilet paper, saying "Am I helping?") while DH mopped and slopped.

Now it really does seem to be a boy thing, IME. My DB used to get nosebleeds a lot between the ages of about 5 and 12 and when I mentioned it at work this morning, a couple of male colleagues said that it used to happen to them as well. No girls similarly fessed up (random and unscientific sample!) I also remember with my brother that hot thundery weather used to trigger it off as well.

Has anyone else had this? We did sort it out and Ds was not too distressed. He's had them before (which is not helped by the fact he is very partial to a quick rummage up there) but this was much worse than that. If it had happened outside of the house without access to running water or change of clothes or on someone else's watch (playdate, babysitter or some other person who is not quite so insouciant in being covered in DS's blood) it would have been quite alarming for all concerned.

Interested in whether anyone else has experienced this.

slightlycrumpled Thu 31-Jul-08 13:28:13

Happens here too! No idea why though. DS1 (7) gets frequent nasty nosebleeds that sometimes go on for ages! When I asked our GP he said they can quarterize the bleed but is not a nice procedure.

They often happen when he has tonsilitus which is alot, but he can also be found with his finger up his nose on a regular basis!

He has had them at school before (although he was quite pleased afterwards as all the girls started screaming!) and one at a birthday party after I had dropped him off.

I'm hoping that once he has his tonsills out on Tuesday they will calm down a bit.

It is amazing though how far the blood goes, smile at your dd helping.

ImnotOK Thu 31-Jul-08 13:31:08

My ds gets them all the time and my dd does too ,we had to take dd to the GP and he has referred her to ENT because her nose seems very dry and sore .

ThatBigGermanPrison Thu 31-Jul-08 13:34:44

Ds2 gets them, always has. Sometimes I go into him and his cot is awash (ok not that bad, but it's hard on the washing machine!)

MummyDoIt Thu 31-Jul-08 13:37:55

DS1 (age 5) gets them frequently. Coincidentally, he had a massive one this morning too. Took about 15 minutes to get it to stop completely. I have mentioned it to our GP and he didn't seem concerned about it. We find hot weather makes it worse so are expecting more!

used2bthin Thu 31-Jul-08 13:38:44

I used to get them ALL the time so not just a boy thing although maybe its less common with boys I'm not sure. They used to be quite heavy, I would sometimes wake up with them and sometimes they would just start, especially if I was upset. I just stopped getting them I think around ten years old and then just had the occasional one up till my teens but haven't had one since.

docket Thu 31-Jul-08 13:49:07

I used to get them all the time too, ended up in A&E a few times with ones that had gone on for hours and had nose quarterised a couple of times.

IIRC I had them a lot from the ages 6/7 - 11/12 and they stopped pretty much overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now