Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear Test?

(16 Posts)
stretchmarkqueen Thu 31-Jul-08 12:04:52

Right, I need a kick up the bum!

I have an 11 week old ds and I need a smear. REALLY need a smear, I've never had one and I'm 26. Thing is, I'm really scared. I've had 3 kids, no problems with having internals normally, but now I'm putting it off again.

I'm really worried now though, that because I've put it off for so long, that there will be something wrong. Irrational??

Please help me. Any thoughts will do?

CoteDAzur Thu 31-Jul-08 12:08:47

Yes, you are being irrational. Here's your kick in the bum << thump! >> smile

Seriously, get it done. You will sleep better at night.

I had no symptoms before I was told after a smear that I had advanced dysplasia (CIN III), which means I would have developed cervical cancer in a couple of years if I hadn't done the smear test.

Very small operation, had DD within a year. All good.

It would be a very different story (no dd, chemo, death) if I hadn't done the test.

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 31-Jul-08 12:10:16

I'll link you to a v good smear thread, it might help kick you up the bum and reassure you !!! hold on...

HolidaysQueen Thu 31-Jul-08 12:10:50

[big kick emoticon] grin
Chances are there will be nothing wrong, so go and do the test to put your mind at rest. Childbirth is far less dignified and much more uncomfortable than a smear, I promise!

If (and this is a big if) there was anything wrong, then the most it would probably require is more frequent smears. I have smears every year due to an abnormal finding just to keep an eye on me. So there is really nothing to worry about, I promise!

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 31-Jul-08 12:11:06

here you are

JonahTakalua Thu 31-Jul-08 12:12:34

Get it done!

It takes less than five minutes.

Chances are everything is fine.

If you do need some treatment, you need to find out now.

There is a thread in health re reminding people to have their smear tests.

Post on there, and you'll get lots of encouragement. smile

JonahTakalua Thu 31-Jul-08 12:13:16

x post mas

rolymoma Thu 31-Jul-08 12:17:20

my HV said they dont recommend having a smear until 6 months post birth as cervix needs to get back to normal. my gp had written to me to remind me and she was v cross about it and said they shouldnt even be contemplating it. i dont know whether this is right or not but it did give me an excuse to avoid it for 18 months (had it done 3 weeks ago) blush it really does take 5 mins.

tiggerlovestobounce Thu 31-Jul-08 12:22:00

You are pretty young really, so dont worry that it will show something wrong (though if it did then better to find out sooner rather than later.)
I had a smear done yesterday (It was really quite overdue as I had had a baby when it should have been due and didnt want it done while pregnant or immediatly postnatally. My DD is now 18 months, so thought I should get it done blush )
Anyway, it is all done, I was actually in the room less than 5 minutes. And I'm back in the GPs good books again grin

EssieW Thu 31-Jul-08 12:23:54

I had my first smear test ever this morning and I'm 32...
Did only take 5 mins and it was fine.

I was recommended to wait at 3 months after birth. I think NICE guidelines are to wait for longer. I waited 15 months.

cmotdibbler Thu 31-Jul-08 12:24:45

<Kick up bum>

Takes a few minutes, very easy, and going for regular screening will cut your chances of having cervical cancer by well over 95%. And even then the cancer would be caught at such an early stage that treatment would be incredibly effective.

Ring now !

stretchmarkqueen Thu 31-Jul-08 12:25:39

Thankyou for the replies. I really don't understand why I'm putting it off. It's not the undignified bit that I'm worried about.

I know nothing about smears, <head in the sand>, I didn't realise that it picks up abnormal cells that COULD turn cancerous, so can be treated, I just thought it told you if you had cancer. blush This makes me feel slightly better. I will check about the 6 month postnately thing.
Thankyou so much! smile

Will post on the other thread too.

notcitrus Fri 01-Aug-08 15:52:32

Do make sure the nurse or GP knows you've never had a smear before, and when booking ask for the most experienced nice person to do it.

And yes, it picks up cells that are slightly abnormal long before they turn cancerous.

mamadiva Fri 01-Aug-08 15:58:52

I'm the same I'm 21 and have been putting off having a smear just at the thought of it makes me uncomfortable.

poppy34 Fri 01-Aug-08 16:00:12

get a nurse to do it (in my experience they are better as do more)... and its far less hassle than half the probign that goes on when you have kids..smile

OurHamsterisevil Fri 01-Aug-08 21:26:33

I had a smear 3 months after birth. I was already a year late for one though as I am currently having regular ones due to an abnormal one 2 years ago.

It really isn't a big deal. I found them yuck before I had kids. Not so bad now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now