Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mastitis won't shift, should I stop feeding? : (

(15 Posts)
Flightputsonahat Thu 31-Jul-08 11:51:26

Getting a bit despairing sad

I have had it 3 times now since baby was around 10 months, he's 13mo now.

This time I took the 5 days of cefalexin and it came back 2 days later, so have been prescribed more but a stronger dose. I wouldn't mind the pain, I just feel really feverish and woozy which makes everyday stuff difficult.

It hurts, I feel like cr*p again. And I have one of those delightful little red lines that goes from my nipple to my armpit. She said not to worry, it probably isn't blood poisoning hmm

But what to do - his latch is fine, I've let him feed till empty, no other issues I can think of. Do I stop now before this happens yet again, or can we get through this - I really can't take much more!

Thanks x

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

belgo Thu 31-Jul-08 11:54:44

Are you run down Flight? I found myself prone to mastitis if I was particularly tired or stressed. Try and look after yourself and get plenty of rest, otherwise you will be more prone to infections.

Also you probably know to feed in different positions?

What about your underwear? Are you wearing anything that's ill fitting and could be causing a blockage?

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 12:01:27

I had mastitis 3 times by the time dd1 was 12 weeks old sad

I too felt v poorly at times but after that things settled down and I never got it again.

One thing that was suggested to me was to position the baby's chin where the red mark was (in your case it sounds like it would involve a "rugby ball" type hold!) as the strength of those jaw movements might unblock the affected ducts.

It's really up to you if you want to continue to feed, I carried on for a lot longer with my girls but it's a personal choice.

Good luck!

Flightputsonahat Thu 31-Jul-08 12:03:00

I am thinking that tmmj, anyway - I can't keep on like this. But he's still very dependant on it and doesn't take bottle or cuppy very well yet sad

Might stop save for night times perhaps.

<waves at Belgo>
Thankyou - and how is your dear bump? smile

Yes, I am pretty tired - just moved house - I haven't been wearing anything funny, but he did bite me which I think may have caused a little swelling and that could have blocked the duct?

If you do stop though, when do you do it - I'm told it's best to keep feeding till infection is gone?

belgo Thu 31-Jul-08 12:06:03

Definitely keep feeding until the infection has gone, it's up to you how long you continue for after that. It could be down to the bite.

My bump is fine thanks - rather large!

Flightputsonahat Thu 31-Jul-08 12:07:21

Oh how lovely...do you have a date? It must be getting quite near surely smile

Flier Thu 31-Jul-08 12:09:13

can you try a diffeent position?

belgo Thu 31-Jul-08 12:12:14

just under 10 weeks to go give or take. It feels very close!

If you do stop bfing, stop gradually otherwise the mastitis might return. I remember how ill I felt with it.

I've also read that cabbage leaves are supposed to help.

Flightputsonahat Thu 31-Jul-08 12:19:25

October baby! smile

Flier - he does already do quite a few positions, it's pretty random - I just think maybe my body is telling me it's had enough..perhaps that's daft, I don't know what would cause all this trouble sad

Flier Thu 31-Jul-08 12:22:24

are you taking any supplements/vitamins? someone else mentioned being run down-this may help. Are yiu massaging yourself too-in shower with as warm water as possible?

slavemother Wed 27-Aug-08 09:49:47

i've had mastitis also, Best advice is to express the milk. Have a warm bath, massage boobs, or where you have the bright red dot. Electric pumps brill i have medela has a soft suction which you can turn up. Hope this helps.

Guadalupe Wed 27-Aug-08 09:55:29

I had this seven times with ds2 and I got to the point where I thought I was going to have to stop. Like Belgo says, it will recur if you do not get enough rest and it did only go away for good when I made some changes.

I did the usual expressing, warm baths, had ab's once, but mainly I rested when the warning signs came and that helped though I know it's not that easy.

[congrats Belgo btw!]

moodlesoup Thu 28-Aug-08 22:56:42

cabbage leaves definitely relieved my pain if that's any use. i had it 3 times in 3 months, horrendous feeling. i ended up stopping unfortunately but it really got me down. good luck, hope you get some relief.

FlightAttendent Thu 28-Aug-08 23:10:57

Wow! Somebody dragged this one up from a month ago! smile

Thanks for your kind wishes...

I'm still feeding but the mastitis cost me much anguish in terms of the treatment - still taking antibiotics for the effects of the antibiotics iyswim!

Gah

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now