Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do I protect skin against Chlorine in pools?

(9 Posts)
AussieSim Thu 10-Feb-05 00:53:15

My 2yo DS has eczema but for the last year or so it has been only on his fingers/thumbs. I didn't take him to swimming lessons when he was younger on the advice of our dermatologist, but now we live minutes from beaches and pools and I was feeling guilty about the lack of swimming lessons so enrolled him. He has only been twice but he is already breaking out on his belly face and legs. My Naturopath says to quit and try again in a few months. Does anyone else have any ideas?

kernowcat Thu 10-Feb-05 00:57:20

My sis used to ahve exzema and I think my mum used to cover her in a thick layer of the 'yucky' vaseline like stuff from a tube. sorry not much help but I think back and it comes out like a kid????

Jimjams Thu 10-Feb-05 09:25:36

Ds1 had terrible eczema as a baby- I used to slather him in 50:50 ((it's a mix of different types of petroleum jelly) before and after swimming.

Jimjams Thu 10-Feb-05 09:26:24

Also used to wet wrap him (without steroid- just emollient) if his skin was bad after swimming. (he loved swimming and I didn't want to have to give it up).

Beetroot Thu 10-Feb-05 09:31:41

Message withdrawn

SofiaAmes Thu 10-Feb-05 22:26:02

I found that if I put my dd (who has eczema) in a warm shower (at the swimming baths) and then put cream (Aveeno) all over her immediately after the shower (while pores are still open) that seemed to keep the chlorine from aggravating her eczema.

AussieSim Tue 15-Feb-05 03:09:35

Thanks everyone, I will go with the vaseline, swim, shower and then emollient and try to soldier on.

jammydodger Tue 15-Feb-05 06:20:15

I've just started baby swimming lessons with my 6 month old, and the instructor recommended massaging them with a good quality cold-pressed oil like olive oil etc., an hour before getting in the pool (gives it time to sink in and so they're not too slippery too!)..this stops a huge amount o absorption of chlorine etc apparently....

pinkwhistle Tue 15-Feb-05 06:53:49

any kind of barrier cream

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now