Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

whats the best thing for sinus trouble??

(24 Posts)
cheeryface Wed 30-Jul-08 21:37:40

have a bad headache, for a few days now, if i press on my face it is sore and i can hear popping and crackling. so, i think it's my sinuses .
what can i do? i feel really minging!

LadyJogsAlot Wed 30-Jul-08 21:38:43

i honestly couldn't live without sinutab.
it's the only thing that gets rid of those headaches.

MrsJohnCusack Wed 30-Jul-08 21:42:17

oh I am lurking as just started a thread about the hideous reaction to the antibiotics I got given for my sinus infection

but if you are OK, then antibiotics grin
also steaming them according to my doctor

PestoMonster Wed 30-Jul-08 21:43:09

Get some menthol crystals from the chemist and sprinkle some on a cup of hot (but not boiling water). This helps you inhale.

You could also try a decongestant like Sudafed and obviously painkillers.

Another thing you can do is to put a few drops of Olbas oil in a sink of hot water and put a towel over your head to inhale the steam.

I usually put either Olbas oil or Karvol on my pillow or hankie at night which can help too.

My dad swears by snorting salty water morning and night, and I have resorted to this at times, but it isn't exactly pleasant I'm afraid.

If your sinuses continue to be bad then I would go and see your GP. You may get given some antibiotics.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon. smile

cheeryface Wed 30-Jul-08 22:07:21

thanx. the weird thing is my nose doesn't exactly feel blocked but my head / face do.

my teeth hurt on one side aswell every time i have a drink, like they have become super sensitive! could there be any connection ??

nooonit Wed 30-Jul-08 22:40:17

Cheeryface - when I was pregnant with DD1 I had what I thought was unbearable toothache.

Went to dentist - no teeth problems but he asked me to bend over wink - if it hurt more he said it was sinuses.

He said (and he is lovely!) that antibiotics often don't speed up clearing!

I have suffered many more times since and swear by steaming!

Good luck - hope you're feeling better soon. It's such a nasty thing to have.

MaureenMLove Wed 30-Jul-08 22:45:23

I use a hot flannel, folded up and hold it against my face where it hurts. It seems o release some of the pain.

giraffescantdancethetango Wed 30-Jul-08 22:47:49

agree with hot cloth

theres a sinus massage/tap thing you can do too. (i found it on google)

misi Wed 30-Jul-08 22:55:14

your sinuses are above your eyes, down the side of your nose. the sinuses are part of your lympth system, the drainage system of your body if you like. every so often you get glands and nodes like the sinuses. tey follow the blood stream but where your blood is pumped twice a minute around your body by your heart, your lympth system is pumped around only twice per day, mostly by muscle usage, so sitting around when having sinus probs can make it worse!! when your white blood cells kill off invading bugs etc, the residue is shifted to the lymphatic system for removal, but when you have a particularly bad infection it can overload. also, when your body is exposed to allergens, the sinuses flare up around the nose as this is the first place of dumping all that white blood cell reaction. anti biotics will just cause the lympth system to become more congested (usually but anti B's will be needed if certain conditions arise)
gentle exercise will help clear the sinuses, as will steam inhalation, if you have decent eucolyptus oil and ot tea tree oil, add this to the steam for better results. if you have no other health probs then you could see a herbalist to find out if echinacea will be of use as this not only modulates the immune system but stimulates the lympth system to clear itself, but always please see a qualified person in a health shop before you buy to be safe?

mousemole Thu 31-Jul-08 08:18:28

buy a neti pot. After years of sinus misery this is the only thing that works for me. I use it daily as a preventative measure. You can buy them on ebay - or have a look here

www.himalayaninstitute.org/Netipot/NetiPotGateway.aspx

MrsJohnCusack Thu 31-Jul-08 11:26:00

that looks good mousemole - am going to look into that. can already feel sinuses going baaaad again and there is NO WAY I am going to be taking any antiBs again after this week's hideous experience

stitch Thu 31-Jul-08 11:26:28

a hat covering the forehead

mousemole Thu 31-Jul-08 11:40:19

MrsJC - i had similar experience to you. ditch the ab's - they do nothing. Natural approach is best.

Bramshott Thu 31-Jul-08 11:43:24

Neti Pot is definitely the way to go. I have the Sinucleanse one.

cheeryface Thu 31-Jul-08 12:21:46

thanks for all the suggestions.
i will buy a neti pot i think

BlingLovin Thu 31-Jul-08 12:27:12

Also diet can have a huge affect. Red wine and diary products can exacerbate sinus pain so when you're suffering cut back on those. And the one no one knows about - berries! So cut back on Cosmopolitans. smile

I get DP to massage my sinuses in bed before sleeping, really helps. And he says he can feel the congestion around my eye brows and under my eys.

mousemole Thu 31-Jul-08 13:42:01

berries ? Interesting - so strawberries, raspberries etc ? Shame ! Red wine is definitely a killer for me and white wine to be honest. Bling - what a nice husband !

misi Thu 31-Jul-08 13:54:57

ah, a glass (125ml) of red wine a day is actually very beneficial to your health and well being wink p[acked full or resveratol, a powerful anti oxidant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

look it up and get drinking grin

crochetdiva Thu 31-Jul-08 13:57:40

snorting salty water always works for me ... it's foul, but it works better than any tablets, I find!

BlingLovin Thu 31-Jul-08 14:11:37

isn't it annoying that red wine is mostly good but for one or two things is worse? I hated that when I was suffering from sinuses I had to cut back on red. sad

MM the berries thing is something I read when I was obsessively researching sinus related troubles a few years ago and it came up a few times. At the time, my preferred fruit juice was mixed berries, and it has to be said that when I changed back to old fashioned apple or orange, it did have a positive impact. I'm not sure if it's a problem on a daily basis, or just if you're really suffering badly.

mousemole Thu 31-Jul-08 14:21:23

thanks Bling - i eat a lot of strawberries so will cut back ! Red wine makes my husbands's asthma really bad and when I did a bit of research found out it was the sulfites ( also in white wine) that cause the histamine to increase in your body and cause the allergic type reactions of inflamed sinuses/wheezing/asthma. I've yet to try any organic wine as I am quite happy with my spirits now !

BlingLovin Thu 31-Jul-08 14:37:24

Oh, and thanks for positive reinforcement on darling h2b! He's definitely the best. grin

BlingLovin Thu 31-Jul-08 14:37:55

Oh again, and also, let me know how you get on with the berries - I'll be interested to see if it helps you at all.

mousemole Thu 31-Jul-08 16:03:54

aah, he sounds a gem. I do get a good back rub off dh so cant complain !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now