Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bad reaction to antibiotics (emetephobes avoid). who else gets this? what do you do?

(7 Posts)
MrsJohnCusack Wed 30-Jul-08 21:35:28

SO i haven't taken antibiotics for year because they made me violently ill a couple of times at university (once was because I drank wine though) and when I've had them since they've always given me dreadful thrush. I can't actually remember when I last had them - about 2000 maybe?

but I had a revolting sinus infection and so I gave in and got some. Started on Saturday, had dodgy tummy, weird mood swings and tearfulness, headaches - and then yesterday (wed), woke up after restless night with splitting headache, aching joints, stiff unbelivably sore neck, flashing lights in front of eyes etc. and then chucked up all day. I couldn't do a thing. At the very end of the day managewd to keep down some crisps (crap I know buyt the only thing I could face) and liquid. this morning have kept down some paracetemol and head is feeling a bit better (i.e I can sit up and move). I am never, ever going through that again, I was on the point of going to A&E and I had to miss a rehearsal and let people down.

SO the sinus thing seems betterish but I only made it though half the course. What the hell do I do if it comes back??? What do you do if you can't take antibiotics

this is really dull I know but I can't be alone

thisisyesterday Wed 30-Jul-08 21:44:48

talk to gp, see if there is another type that might work better?

Do you take them after food? Apparantly people who get sick with them should eat first, then take them straight after. They're digested quicker then and less likely to make you vomit.

SubRosa Wed 30-Jul-08 23:36:50

Buccastem anti-nausea tablets are effective, although I don't know if you can take them with anti-biotics. What sort of anti-biotics were you given?

MrsSprat Wed 30-Jul-08 23:40:27

Poor you. Definitely ask for an alternative.

There's one type that messes with me big-time and has done since I was a teenager. A few years ago, I thought 'I'm not a prissy big girl's blouse and allergic to modern superdrugs', so didn't declare it when they asked the question at the docs and when I was prescribed it, I had exactly the reaction. I'm perfectly fine with other anti-b's.

My bad one is erythromicin, similar symptoms to yours plus the most vile stomach cramps and how-you-say holiday-tummy.

giraffescantdancethetango Wed 30-Jul-08 23:43:30

definetly go back

MrsJohnCusack Thu 31-Jul-08 01:47:30

thank you everyone. I now have the holiday tummy too angry. Still have the headache (although not as bad) and aching joints plus now aching all around tummy and shoulders from being so violently sick.

i did take them after food
they were co-trimoxazole. the past offenders were the penicillin ones I think. I have vague memories of having Augmentin for an ear infection & that was OK apart from raging thrush. As the sinuses have cleared up a bit the doc and I have agreed to leave it (stop them) and see how it goes. I have rehearsals/concerts this week and next and I am very unwilling to get that ill again and risk missing any of them so I'm not going to try any others for now.

lol MrsSprat - that was me - modern drugs willk be fine, I was a scummy alcohol swilling badly fed student last time, that'll be why it happened...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now