Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone starting a diet this week?

(17 Posts)
silvermum Wed 30-Jul-08 21:20:32

how much do you want to lose, and how quickly?
how are you doing it?
i've got 10lbs to lose...started today.
it's old "baby weight" (ie excess cakes, biscuits etc eaten in pregnancy and afterwards) - DS now a year old so no excuse...

LadyJogsAlot Wed 30-Jul-08 21:22:46

yeah i'm back on the wagon this week.
also wanting to lose about 10lbs.
have lost about 17lbs since jan this year.
ds is 13 months, am lighter than was before but still have a little more to lose for my ideal weight.

ComeOVeneer Wed 30-Jul-08 21:24:17

Me too. I started on Monday. I want to loose as much as I can by the 15th of August when we go on holiday.

noonki Wed 30-Jul-08 21:25:01

Ohhh I am

I've got about 1 1/2 stone to lose

because I am greedy and had my babies close together (oh really it was chocolate)

I am just eating less crap! I want to exercise but am poorly at the mo so am struggling to exercise

i stopped eating rubbish for about 2 weeks and everyone mentioned it to me

what are you doing?

LadyJogsAlot Wed 30-Jul-08 21:26:57

trying not to stuff my face!
have to stop snacking when stressed.
(living with ils at the mo as we sell our flat/buy our house).

silvermum Wed 30-Jul-08 21:39:13

Well, it's only my first day, but here's what i'm doing in theory: decent breakfast, decent lunch, but no carbs after 6pm; v healthy supper (eg soup/poached chicken/tuna fish)
And no more chocolate in front of the TV at night. No biscuits mid morning. no buttered toast in the morning.
and lots of exercise!
Now, i know i won't be able to do this every day, but if i could do it five days out of seven, that would be pretty good.
i don't know how it will go..i've failed before. but really want my figure back...

noonki Wed 30-Jul-08 21:49:45

silvermum that sounds like what I have been doing,

I can't cut out chocolate etc but I am having only half a biccie /only one toast not two etc

and it is working

walking to the playgroup not driving etc

I know about wanting figure back I am sick of comments etc from my family

silvermum Wed 30-Jul-08 21:59:39

well done noonki. what disheartened me is that after i had my little one i tried really hard to lose weight. it did work to an extent but oh so slowly, even though i was taking a load of exercise and not eating too much. i lost a stone but reached a sort of plateau at around half a stone more than my pre baby weight and just couldn't shift it so gave up. it seemed every tiny thing i'd eat wrong the scales would bounce back up again. that was about six months ago. so now i'm starting again and hoping that i can shift it. it's easier in the summer isn't it? less temptations.
i'm sick of my clothes not fitting/feeling really tight. and my husband pointing to my tummy and saying it's baby's old "house." which is kind of sweet, but....

girlnextdoor Wed 30-Jul-08 22:03:40

I only want to lose 4-5lbs but it is HARD. Got into the habit of snacking, especially between lunch and dinner cos we never eat til 7.30 ish.- all healthy stuff- hummuus, nuts etc etc- but the weight has gradually sat around my waistline for the 1st time ever- am over 50 now sad
Doing loads of exercise- but need some support!

silvermum Thu 31-Jul-08 19:49:20

girlnextdoor, have you started the diet yet?
how's everyone else doing? maybe we should start our own thread - August dieters!
i've been good today, though my boss near enough forced me to eat an ice lolly. i told him about the diet and he then said he'd buy me the lowest fat one he could find. i felt really awkward refusing so ate it. 100 calories! not too bad. not had dinner yet so plenty of time for resolve to slip. it's only day 2.
got a big night out with my mummy friends on Sunday night which is sure to be a calorific disaster.

sumomum Thu 31-Jul-08 20:10:27

Can I join too? I've been dieting for two weeks and managed to loose 3lbs the first week. I've gone off the rails a bit this week so hopefully some encouragement from MN will help.

I am not following any particular diet plan just trying to cut out the crap and reduce my portion sizes and, most importantly, exercise!!

If this plan fails then I may have to resort to having my jaws wired! So fed up of being chunky.

SilentTerror Thu 31-Jul-08 20:16:47

Me too! Need to loose about 10lbs really.
Am trying smaller portions and more exercise,nothing too adventurous,just more walking,15 mins on exercise bike a day.
Have bought giant box of Special K today so may use that to kick start myself!

girlnextdoor Thu 31-Jul-08 21:04:34

silvermum- yes I have.

I have walked 3 miles a day over hills etc for the last 3 days but not today - for various reasons. I do that anyway- it's not a diet thing.

I was good- I had only 1 slice toast with my boiled egg, not 2.

My "sin" is to nibble nuts etc- I am on a lifelong "special diet" for allergies etc and cannot eat lots of things.

I have had about 4 Brazil nuts today and a bit of spoon licking when I made some biscuits for rest of family.
I also made them a meringue pudding, and again had a few tastes.

But I only had 3 veg and roast chicken for dinner and a small tuna salad for lunch.

My problem is picking- I reckon I eat roughly 200 extra calories a day by nibbling and over the last year it has meant lbs creeping on-along with being 50+. I weigh less than 8 stones (cringe!!) but those extra 4-5lbs are all round my middle sad and I look preggers from side at times!

mousehole Thu 31-Jul-08 21:10:13

I've just joined rosemary conley and have 3 stone to lose in total - I'm nearly 12 stone and need to be 9 stone. Going ok so far but its only day 2.....anyone else lost weight with rosemary conley.

Maternaltouch Thu 31-Jul-08 21:28:24

I've just gone back on the Neris & India's Idiot Proof Diet - see www.pig2twig.co.uk

I lost 2 stone on it last year. Only 10 more to go.....

silvermum Thu 31-Jul-08 21:31:05

right, i'm starting a thread called august dieters, where we can all give each other some support! come and share tips/experiences/encourage each other. i want to get preg again so it's sensible eating for me and i'm not sure how long my diet will last but i'd like to trim down before going right up on the scales again with next baby or i'll need an entire new wardrobe after the next one, instead of just needing to replace half to two thirds of the clothes shock

girlnextdoor Thu 31-Jul-08 21:37:26

okay- lets go with it sm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now