Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sorry ....about poo....

(22 Posts)
sasa15 Wed 09-Feb-05 21:43:04

He's 6 months and he's on 3 meals solid ...not poo....
he drinks about 12oz of formula milk per day...
and he only had a little stool...today...
is he constipated....?

He start to have only 1-2 stools per day...sometimes little one...
is it normal?

Lonelymum Wed 09-Feb-05 21:48:52

Yes I would say so.

Aero Wed 09-Feb-05 21:48:59

Does he have other drinks sasa? 12oz seems very little milk for a 6mth old. Sounds like he really should be having more fluids.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 09-Feb-05 21:51:17

I read recently that they've changed the definition of constipation - it's not about how often someone goes, it's the consistency of the poo. If the stools are hard and small, then the baby's constipated. If they're reasonably soft, then he's not.

Prune juice helps sort constipation at this age - you can make it yourself by boiling prunes and giving the water they were cooked in to the baby.

Hope this helps ...

sasa15 Wed 09-Feb-05 21:54:12

Lonelyloom you would say so.,..is it normal or is he constipated>??

sasa15 Wed 09-Feb-05 21:54:40

sorry lonelymum....

sasa15 Wed 09-Feb-05 22:01:06

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
help my ds is contipated...since few days....
I didn't realise.....helllllllllllppppppppppppp

he seems ok ...not to happy....maybe...sleeping at night ok....

He drinks 5 oz formula milk in the morning...
and 3oz cow's milk with cereal(banana porridge) and fruits..(gave him pear)

Lunch at 11.45pm

3oz of water..,..

2.30 3oz formula milk

5 dinner

6.40pm 5-6oz formula milk.

7pm bed

Do they suppost to poo soft...then...
he's a while he's having stools
sometimes soft...not often....

Lonelymum Wed 09-Feb-05 22:05:45

Oh sorry, I meant I would say it was normal. I agree with NQC that it is not the frequency with which they go that matters but what actually comes out, and even if that is rock hard little balls, they are not actually constipated, although certainly need more fluid or roughage. Constipation in my health care book is described as passing stools only every 3-4 days and causing pain or discomfort (so even if you see your baby pushing and going red in the face they are not necessarily constipated -if it causes pain, you will know it!) (one of my children was chronically constipated for over a year

As your baby is only 6 months old, he is still getting used to solids. I found the transition did slow them up a bit but they get used to a solid diet after a bit. Hope that is more helpful than my first answer!

sasa15 Wed 09-Feb-05 22:07:48

phew ....!!!!Lonelymum....

Aero Wed 09-Feb-05 22:10:49

They should be soft sasa - though it looks like he's getting more like 17oz formula a day one way or another. I would try offering water at different points during the day as well as perhaps some prune juice to get things going. Is he in any discomfort when he's pooing.
My ds2 has also been a bit constipated recently - hard poos and difficulty in passing them. He is a bit older than your ds (he's 12 mths), so I've just been offering him drinks at every opportunity and he seems ok again at the moment.

sasa15 Wed 09-Feb-05 22:17:36

I'm just worried that if I give more water he doesn't drink his bottle...

Aero Wed 09-Feb-05 22:24:01

Might be worth a try though, just to see if it will help - has he been on solids for long? His body is probably still adjusting to having 'real' food replace some of his milk. I think a little water - even just a few sips every hour or so might just help soften things up and make it easier for him to go.
Hope someone who knows more will see this but it really does sound like things just need to get moving and extra drinks are usually the easiest way (afaik) for that to happen.

sasa15 Wed 09-Feb-05 22:34:25

thank you Aero, I'll be more careful from tomorrow...I'll give him extra fluid...

p.s. watching desperate housewives.....

NotQuiteCockney Wed 09-Feb-05 22:35:45

Lonelymum, they used to define it by frequency, but now they define it by what the poo is like. See here .

sasa15, this is very normal when babies start solids. Banana can be constipating, it might be worth changing to making apple porridge? And as everyone says, try giving water as well.

Aero Wed 09-Feb-05 22:38:04

I have one eye on Desperate Housewives and the other on this - hope things get moving for your ds soon.

sasa15 Wed 09-Feb-05 23:05:10

Aero they are 13oz of formula (5 at breakfast + 5 at bedtime and 3oz in the afternoon)
plus 3oz of cowmilk...with cereal
and also he has a little yoplait yogurt...after lunch

is it enough?

Lonelymum Thu 10-Feb-05 10:23:32

I think by current recommendations this is enough milk - anyone know otherwise? - but you need to give plenty of water in addition to this.

Aero Fri 11-Feb-05 13:40:28

I think it sounds enough for this age especially with the food, but like lm says, think lots of water too.
Is he any better now?

sasa15 Sat 12-Feb-05 23:52:01

DS cried yesterday and today while passing big long stool (similar to mine..)
could be that he had chicken with veg for lunch and tea...?
I had dry apricot and blend it all....also giving him plenty water,pear juice and drinking about 15oz of milk...

this should be right...no?
I'll try to make one meal protein and one vegeteble....

what do you think?

jabberwocky Sun 13-Feb-05 01:48:54

I don't know exactly how much they should be drinking at this age. It seems like ds drank a little more than that though. Maybe ask your HV? He also went through a stage at 6 months - right after solid food introduction of very infrequent poos. At first I thought he was constipated, but he didn't seem to be in distress when he did a poo and they weren't hard and/or dry, very normal looking just not often. At one point he was only doing one about every 5 days. I put him on the "P" diet - peas, pears, peaches and prunes only for several weeks and it worked great.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 13-Feb-05 06:51:28

sasa, I don't think it matters if they eat veg and meat together. Just try giving more fluids and more fibre (and maybe less solids?), and wait it out - lots of babies this age have this problem. They're getting used to solids, but it takes a while for the gut to learn to cope.

sasa15 Sun 13-Feb-05 19:23:54

oh thanks for help
he did go better this noon...after a runny milky soup I gave him at lunch.,..also dry apricot with chicken tea....drunk all his milk...

had a good one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now