Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Glue ear/slow development

(5 Posts)
motherofeve Wed 30-Jul-08 20:44:14

Help! DD diganosed today with glue ear after speach developmental/pronounceation concerns at our very good nursery. She has just turned 3.

Feel stupid not to have spotted it earlier. she has horrible cold that has dragged on so we will get that treated but should we fight for speach therapy whilst we wait out the next 2 months to see if the glue ear has improved?

Thanks all

misi Thu 31-Jul-08 12:03:46

been talking about this on the ''Anyone's child had grommets fitted recently? Could you let me know what it was like please?'' thread, might be worth having a look there?

glue ear is not easy to recognise so don't beat yourself up. this may be a case of mechanical impairment rather than dietry probs as the speech prob is most likely casued by your daughter not hearing very well. I had an ear infection a few weeks ago, GP said no to anti biotics as they dont give them for ear infections any more, ended in hospital and now awaiting a scan on my ear to assess the long term damage, but it feels like my left ear is under water and I struggle to hear properly, it that had happened when I was a baby, I would have struggled to learnt to speak as the words I heard would have been strange.
not dealt with this scenario before, but I would imagine that once the glue ear is sorted, her speech will improve with help so I would go for speech therapy for peace of mind but maybe wait till the ear is under control?

TotalChaos Thu 31-Jul-08 12:08:42

it can take several months to get seen, so I would try and get her on the list for speech therapy now - you can always get her taken off the list if she makes a massive improvement once the glue ear gets treated.

motherofeve Fri 01-Aug-08 09:45:09

Thank you both, I appreciate it.

TotalChaos Fri 01-Aug-08 09:47:40

you don't always need hv or gp to refer to speech therapy - it varies from area to area, so I would phone up your local speech therapy department to find out what you need to do and what the likely wait for a first appointment is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now